Behind Firewall, now a problem

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
jault46

Behind Firewall, now a problem

Post by jault46 »

I moved the callerid computer behind a sonicwall firewall. I opened port 62965 tcp and 62966 tcp in and out from lan.

The Ascendis Caller ID program is set as a server using that port to broadcast (real time) to stations outside of the local lan.

It works ok, after starting the CallerID Program fresh on the remote stations they recieve calls as they come in, but after a short while they will stop getting the calls comming in to the remote nodes. (This never happened untill I went behind the firewall with the main caller id server)
If the local nodes restart their Caller ID Program again, then they will get updates again for a short while. (As I say doing this as Real Time)
Any Ideas ???
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Behind Firewall, now a problem

Post by Bill Root »

I'm not sure what's happening here. One solution is for you to use polling instead of real-time. However, it seems like real-time should work in this situation, if the only difference is that you introduced a firewall, with appropriately opened ports.

Can you look at the Network Server log and see whether it shows any indication of a loss of connection? Maybe the firewall drops the connection after some period of inactivity. However, normally a connection drop will trigger the client to reconnect, so it may be more subtle. You can check the Network Client log too, but, as I said, if the client detected a disconnect it would automatically try to reconnect. (The Network logs can be viewed using Viiew->Network Status.)

If you can't make sense of the logs, you can send them (or just the server log) to support at ascendis dot com, but make sure they include the periods when things were working, and when they stopped. If you can tell me when it stopped working, that may also help.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Which firewall product are you using?

I know some firewalls (like Wingate) only keep an idle connection open for a preset amount of time (normally 300 seconds). After this time the connection is closed.

Check your firewall settings to see if you have some similar setting.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

We did more testing and examined the logs and it appears that the problem was not a timeout. The disconnects occurred at irregular intervals. In this case (which apparently involves calls over the internet) it looks like the connection was periodically lost without Ascendis Caller ID noticing.

I justed posted a new beta version (1.6.5.29) that uses keep-alive messages to minimize disruption when connections are lost. You can read about the new version here:
http://ascendis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60