Unusual Bug

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
jpsprouse

Unusual Bug

Post by jpsprouse »

This may be a bug that occurs once in a million, but it happened to me. I received a call that read on my phone caller ID as follows:
NUMBER: 919
NAME: Out of Area
However, Ascendis picked up the first 919 area code in my contact list and displayed that name and number as the caller. I called that person back and she had not made the call. Apparent bug in the software.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Unusual Bug

Post by Bill Root »

Could you please submit a Technical Support Report? (It's on the Help menu.) If you haven't restarted since the event the report should contain the caller id data received from the modem or phone device, and in any case the activity log could contain useful information.

It's possible an unintended pattern exists for the caller that mapped 919 to her. If you can't find one, would you consider emailing a database backup to billroot at ascendis dot com so I can investigate?

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Unusual Bug

Post by Bill Root »

For those interested parties, jpsprouse sent a Technical Support Report and database. With these, we found a bug in how Ascendis Caller ID handles partial phone numbers.

Partial phone number matching was added in version 1 to support users with multiple phone lines from different phone companies who reported phone numbers differently (typically, some with a leading '1' and some without). In version 2, Ascendis Caller ID normalizes phone numbers (using TAPI canonical format), so partial number matching is not required. Due to an oversight, partial number matching was not disabled.

Partial phone numbers as short as the "919" in this case are rare enough that the problem has gone unreported to this point.

The problem has been fixed in the latest beta, version 2.1.0.1, which can be downloaded from the beta page:
http://ascendis.com/callerid/beta.php

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software