Unwanted messages

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
jucaso

Unwanted messages

Post by jucaso »

Hi,

I'm getting "Could not find action for...", "Repeat of previous message suppressed", and "Could not find a contact for..." on some calls. I also noticed that I'm getting a message showing a long alphanumeric string right after assigning an action to a new call. I searched the forums and could not find anything addressing this issue, so it must be copit problem.

Please, what am I doing wrong or what am I failing to do?

Thanks,
Juan.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Unwanted messages

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Juan,

It sounds like your database got messed up a bit. If you have a backup, you might consider restoring it. Before doing this, make a new backup, and export the calls, contacts, and actions separately. You can probably import the calls after restoring a backup so any calls since the backup appear in the database. (You may have to use "Delete Duplicate Calls" on the calls context menu after importing.) Please make sure you're using a recent beta version (2.0.1.18 is available at the time of writing) before importing.

Re: "Could not find action for..."
This means an action is missing. Contacts remember their actions using a GUID, which is an alphanumeric string. (The one corresponding to the "Default" action is "{A982DB8C-DBB8-4E83-BF9A-F759F296F06B}".)

To fix this, try to figure out which contact (or one of the global actions) is referring to the missing action. If it's a contact, it's probably the one that called when the message appeared. If it's a global action, the corresponding entry in the "Advanced" page of the Options window is probably blank. Specify a new action in either case to fix the problem.

Re: "Could not find a contact for..."
I suspect the contact that was previously assigned to a phone number is gone. Repairing the database should "fix" the problem by making the phone numbers unowned.

Neither problem should occur during normal operations. Version 2.0.1.0 has some issues with importing that might cause this in certain situations after importing from a different database. All known problems in this area have been fixed in the recent beta versions.

It's also possible your database was corrupted by a power failure, a forceful termination of Ascendis Caller ID while it was writing to the database, a failing hard disk, interference from an anti-virus program or disk indexing program, or various other similar occurrences. A database repair (on the File menu) should help with this. However, if the event that caused the problem is recurring, you will continue having trouble.

In any case, you should backup your database when you have it working again, and probably frequently thereafter, until the core problem is identified and fixed. (Use "Backup Database" on the File menu.)

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software