Ascendis Caller ID beta version 2.0.1.13 now available

Discussion of Ascendis Caller ID 2 BETA VERSION software only! This includes problem reports and general questions on the operation of new features of the BETA software.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Ascendis Caller ID beta version 2.0.1.13 now available

Post by Bill Root »

Version 2.0.1.13 includes the following changes from the previous release:

- when repairing database, set FirstCalled field, for phone records where it is empty, to the first call from the phone number
- attempted fix for rare EIniFileExceptions during startup or shutdown
- fixed problem importing calls from XML for phone numbers not assigned to contacts
- display panel: don't show 'from' before company when name is blank
- log message in Activity Log when database file is missing on startup
- fixed record count when exporting entire database
- don't report non-caller id call info events in Activity Log

As always, bug reports and feedback are appreciated.

You can download this version here:
http://ascendis.com/callerid/CallerID_Beta_Setup.exe

The beta page is available here:
http://ascendis.com/callerid/beta.php
nacogdoches

Some First Called dates not being reset properly

Post by nacogdoches »

Bill,

I installed 2.0.1.13 and repaired my database. Then I looked at some of the First Called dates/times. Some of them are 12/30/1899 even though they have a valid Last Called date/time. Some numbers have a valid First Called and blank Last Called (these may be ones I entered manually -- but still should have been computed in the database repair, I would think). Some have a real First Called date/time but there is an earlier call in the database (again, maybe one I entered manually, and again one that should have been computed on the rebuild). I can send you my database if you want to see for yourself.

If you want to just make those fields editable, that would be great -- I can just repair them manually.

This makes me think--why not make all fields editable? (with a master lock you can't unlock till you see a warning about backing up the database first).
Bob
Houston
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Some First Called dates not being reset properly

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Bob,

I just posted a new beta that corrects zero date values (which appear as 12/30/1899) as well as blank ones. It also corrects the "Last Called" values.

If you have calls with incorrect dates, this will not fix problems where those calls are involved, since it is just copying dates from calls. Also, it does not change dates unless they are blank or zero, so could still end up with First Called and Last Called values that don't reflect every call in your calls list. I'm not sure whether this is something we want to change.

The fields aren't currently editable because we think it's more valuable for them to be unalterable by users, so they can be (relatively) trusted.

Also, since some of the fields may be changed during database repair, we would have to add additional fields to determine whether fields have been manually edited to avoid overwriting user changes.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
nacogdoches

Post by nacogdoches »

Bill Root wrote:I just posted a new beta that corrects zero date values (which appear as 12/30/1899) as well as blank ones. It also corrects the "Last Called" values.
Thanks for the quick response, Bill. I tried it out, and it does indeed work.
If you have calls with incorrect dates, this will not fix problems where those calls are involved, since it is just copying dates from calls. Also, it does not change dates unless they are blank or zero, so could still end up with First Called and Last Called values that don't reflect every call in your calls list. I'm not sure whether this is something we want to change.
I still have a few zero and blank First Called dates, but those are for contacts that haven't called me yet (2nd & 3rd numbers for an existing contact, etc.).
The fields aren't currently editable because we think it's more valuable for them to be unalterable by users, so they can be (relatively) trusted.
If I create a call in a csv file with an earlier date than one in the database, import that call, then repair the database, haven't I "edited" the First Called field?

Anyway, great support!
Bob
Houston
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

nacogdoches wrote:If I create a call in a csv file with an earlier date than one in the database, import that call, then repair the database, haven't I "edited" the First Called field?
Absolutely, which is why I wrote "(relatively) trusted". I admit it's not ideal for people who want no one to be able to change anything, nor for people who want to be able to edit everything. However, we're not yet ready to open it all up, and making it virtually unchangeable would sacrifice a lot of functionality.

We have considered a configuration option to support both perspectives, but nothing is scheduled yet.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
nacogdoches

Still problems with First Call and Number of Calls

Post by nacogdoches »

Bill,

I've been looking more closely at the First Call and Number of Calls in my database and am still finding errors. It seems to me that those fields should reflect what I can find in the database, and often they do. But for a number of contacts, they are off by one or two and miss some calls. I'm imagining that what goes on during database repair is a counting and sorting of calls for each contact, and I can't see how they are being missed and miscounted. I hope you will look at it again. Thanks!

Again, I'll send you my database if you want to see for yourself.
Bob
Houston
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Still problems with First Call and Number of Calls

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Bob,

Could you please send a backup of your database (made with Ascendis Caller ID) and notes on a couple of the problems you're seeing? You can send it to BillRoot at ascendis dot com.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software