Strange problem

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
jucaso

Strange problem

Post by jucaso »

Hi Bill,

The program has been working great, however, recently I have realized that if I pull dial tone from any of our phone, CallerID will announce "No Caller Information" was received. Sometime it will happen right after pulling dial tone once, other times it will require to pull dial tone twice in a row.

I'm using a BCM v.90. 56K modem on a Windows XP Professional.

Thanks.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Strange problem

Post by Bill Root »

Hi jucaso,

It sounds like your modem is not working properly. I have seen and heard of the behavior you describe with some US Robotics modems.

If you want to verify that the modem is the problem, shut down Ascendis Caller ID and access your modem through HyperTerminal. Or, you might be able to see it through the "Repair Modem" window in Ascendis Caller ID after clicking the "More" button. Pick up the phone as you did when you saw the incorrect "No Caller Information" messages earlier. You will probably see "RING" messages coming from your modem.

Your modem normally sends "RING" messages when the phone is ringing. That's what it's supposed to mean. If your modem sends them when the phone is not ringing, there's nothing that Windows or Ascendis Caller ID can do.

If the modem is the problem, it's possible that disabling modem on hold, if your modem has it, could reduce the problem. Chances are, though, that you'll have to replace the modem. Preferably with a different model.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
jucaso

Post by jucaso »

Bill Root wrote:Hi jucaso,

It sounds like your modem is not working properly. I have seen and heard of the behavior you describe with some US Robotics modems.

If you want to verify that the modem is the problem, shut down Ascendis Caller ID and access your modem through HyperTerminal. Or, you might be able to see it through the "Repair Modem" window in Ascendis Caller ID after clicking the "More" button. Pick up the phone as you did when you saw the incorrect "No Caller Information" messages earlier. You will probably see "RING" messages coming from your modem.

Your modem normally sends "RING" messages when the phone is ringing. That's what it's supposed to mean. If your modem sends them when the phone is not ringing, there's nothing that Windows or Ascendis Caller ID can do.

If the modem is the problem, it's possible that disabling modem on hold, if your modem has it, could reduce the problem. Chances are, though, that you'll have to replace the modem. Preferably with a different model.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Bill,

Thanks for your prompt reply. You provide by far, the best technical support and the best Caller ID program available in the net.

I think I failed to inform you that I had switched the BCM modem and CallerID program to another PC. I removed it from a Dell 2400 (newer pc) and installed it to a Dell 2350. These units are physically alike. The Dell 2350 being an older PC obviously had an older driver than the 2400. I simply upgraded the Dell 2350 using the driver in the Dell 2400 and bingo! the problem was solved.

I would like to add that before upgrading to the new driver, I had reinstalled the modem once and the old driver twice.

Please, keep up the good work.

Juan.
GraemeP

Post by GraemeP »

jucaso wrote:Bill,

Thanks for your prompt reply. You provide by far, the best technical support and the best Caller ID program available in the net.
Juan.
Just picking up on this - I totally agree. If you ever want a testimonial for the website drop me a mail.

Graeme
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Hello Juan,
jucaso wrote:Thanks for your prompt reply. You provide by far, the best technical support and the best Caller ID program available in the net.
Thank you very much!
I think I failed to inform you that I had switched the BCM modem and CallerID program to another PC. I removed it from a Dell 2400 (newer pc) and installed it to a Dell 2350. These units are physically alike. The Dell 2350 being an older PC obviously had an older driver than the 2400. I simply upgraded the Dell 2350 using the driver in the Dell 2400 and bingo! the problem was solved.

I would like to add that before upgrading to the new driver, I had reinstalled the modem once and the old driver twice.
I'm pleased you were able to fix the problem, no thanks to me! Hopefully your solution will help someone else with the same problem.

Apparently the modem manufacturer fixed a problem with the earlier driver, or was able to workaround a hardware problem in software.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

GraemeP wrote:
jucaso wrote:Bill,

Juan.
Just picking up on this - I totally agree. If you ever want a testimonial for the website drop me a mail.

Graeme
Thank you, Graeme!