More Questions - So Far, So Good!

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
greghh

More Questions - So Far, So Good!

Post by greghh »

Bill,
Thanks for the help on the scripts.
I've learned a lot from you already. Slowly, this 'script' writing is sinking in, I think. I was under the impression that Ascendis CID did record voice messages, but using it with an answering machine is fine with me.

Now:
How do I get Ascendis CID to work with an answering machine? Can you provide a revised script based on my "Known Callers" script in my previous message?

Also, please describe the physical connection that would be necessary to make it work.

What I want to do is:
Play "ring.wav"
Play "LeaveMessage.wav"
Hand off to the answering machine.
Hang up.

How do I accomplish this?

Also, do you are any of your users have a general recommendation for a reliable, decent sounding, reasonably priced small answering machine? So many sound crappy like your talking in a can.

Thanks for all your help!
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: More Questions - So Far, So Good!

Post by Bill Root »

Hello Greg,
How do I get Ascendis CID to work with an answering machine? Can you provide a revised script based on my "Known Callers" script in my previous message?

Also, please describe the physical connection that would be necessary to make it work.

What I want to do is:
Play "ring.wav"
Play "LeaveMessage.wav"
Hand off to the answering machine.
Hang up.
Since we're using an answering machine to record messages, Ascendis Caller ID cannot pick up the phone to play messages, as that will prevent the answering machine from picking up. That means Ascendis Caller ID can only do the first step: Play "ring.wav"
Everything else must be left to the answering machine. My previous instructions assumed this:
http://www.ascendis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=345

As to the phone connection, I recommend plugging the phone line into the answering machine's "line" jack and the modem into the answering machine's "phone" jack. However, it should work either way (i.e., answering machine first or modem first).
Also, do you are any of your users have a general recommendation for a reliable, decent sounding, reasonably priced small answering machine? So many sound crappy like your talking in a can.
Most voice modems use 8 bit audio and so don't sound very good either. I suspect modern answering machines use similarly inexpensive hardware.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software