Hang Up After Six Rings

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
Mtaylor361

Hang Up After Six Rings

Post by Mtaylor361 »

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I have been using Ascendis Caller ID for about six months. I'm hoping that some of you guys who are more experienced can help me out.
My question is can a script be used to hang up on a caller after a certain number or rings. Some of my son's girlfriends aren't familiair with proper phone etiquette. I want to teach them that if someone doesn't answer the phone after six rings, they are sleeping, out of the house, or just don't want to talk to them. Talking to them hasn't worked.

I haven't had any experience in writing a script but am eager to learn. Thanks in advance for your help

Michael Taylor
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Hang Up After Six Rings

Post by Bill Root »

Hello Mr. Taylor,

Yes, this can be done in a script, although it requires making scripts run every time the phone rings. The downside of this is that, by default, Ascendis Caller ID will speak the caller's name every time. If this is not desired, we can change that too.

The first step is to create a new category:
1) Open Ascendis Caller ID
2) Click the Categories tab
3) Right-click in the Categories list and select "New Category". The "Edit Category" window will appear.
4) Type a meaningful name in the name box
5) Change "Action" to "Advanced"
6) Paste the following into the large white script box:

Code: Select all

// LANGUAGE=DWS

if CallInfo.Rings > 5 then
  HangUp
else if CallInfo.Rings = 1 then
  Speak('Call from ' + CallInfo.Name);
7) Click OK to save the changes and close the window

To use the new category, do the following:
8) Open the Options window (from the toolbar or from the View menu)
9) On the General page, in the "Perform Action" box just above the center of the window, make sure "On each ring" is checked
10) If you want the new script to run for every caller (since it will only hang up on the 6th ring this may be fine) then change the "Category for new callers" setting to the name of the new category from step 4.
11) Click OK to close the window and save the changes

If you prefer to use the new script only for specific callers, locate one of the callers in the Calls list or the Callers list. Right-click the call or caller, and add or edit the caller as appropriate. The "Edit Caller" window will appear. Change the Action to "Category" if not already set to it, and change the "Category" to the new category from step 4. Click OK to close the window.

After experimenting with this a bit you may want to change something. Just let me know and I can you walk you through it.

Please let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software