Ver 2 questions

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
nacogdoches

Ver 2 questions

Post by nacogdoches »

Bill,

Just got the new version and it looks great. I have two questions that I can't seem to resolve on my own:

(1) is it possible to merge two contacts without losing the previous calls of either? In the previous version I had separate contacts for a person's home, cell, and business phones. Now I'd like to merge them without losing old info.

(2) can I have more than one contact sharing a single phone number? I get calls from a business, but a particular call might be from one of several people who work there (the number presented to Caller ID is the office PBX number). I'd be happy to have one contact be primary and be the one displayed when a call comes in, but then I'd like to edit the call to show the particular person it was who made that call.

Great job!
Bob
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Ver 2 questions

Post by Bill Root »

Hello Bob,
nacogdoches wrote:(1) is it possible to merge two contacts without losing the previous calls of either? In the previous version I had separate contacts for a person's home, cell, and business phones. Now I'd like to merge them without losing old info.
Yes. As you probably noticed, all version 1 contacts were imported into version 2 as separate contacts (as they were in version 1). You can move phone numbers from one contact to another. (You decide which is the primary, or destination, contact. This would be the one where you added (or intend to add) address info, picture, etc.)

To do this, find the secondary contact in the Contacts list. Right-click on it and select "Move Number To Different Contact". The "Select Contact" window will appear, where you can select the primary contact and click OK. This moves the phone number to the selected contact. The secondary contact will still appear in the Contact list, without a phone number, since you can have contacts without a phone number. In your case you would then delete the secondary contact. Be careful since both contacts may have the same name. The one you want to delete should have nothing in the Number column.

The calls to the reassigned phone number will not be deleted. They will reflect the new contact.
(2) can I have more than one contact sharing a single phone number? I get calls from a business, but a particular call might be from one of several people who work there (the number presented to Caller ID is the office PBX number). I'd be happy to have one contact be primary and be the one displayed when a call comes in, but then I'd like to edit the call to show the particular person it was who made that call.
I'm afraid not. Ascendis Caller ID requires a one-to-one mapping from phone numbers to contacts, so it knows which contact to use. The best I can suggest at this point is to assign the phone number to a company contact, or to the most common person, and then add a note to each call to indicate the person within the company. You could also use the call Label field for this. Both notes and labels can be shown in the Call list.
Great job!
Thank you!

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
nacogdoches

Call count in error

Post by nacogdoches »

Bill,

I have noticed that the New Call count (on the main page) doesn't jive with the actual number of calls for which the New checkbox is checked. For example, this morning when I brought CallerID up for the first time the count was set at zero. Then a new call came in, and that raised it to one, but when I cleared the New box for that call, the count remained at one. When a second call came in, the count went to two. I cleared that call's New checkbox, but the count remained at 2. Does the New Call count count something else that I'm not seeing?
Bob
Houston
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Call count in error

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Bob,

You are correct, there is a problem with New Calls. This has been corrected and will be included in the next beta release.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software