Questions about Ascendis' strange behaviour...

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
EnRoj

Questions about Ascendis' strange behaviour...

Post by EnRoj »

Hi Sir, this is Enrique hoping you can help me once again... :oops: :wink:

I've been using Ascendis for a health purpose and it have been working pretty fine, since I tried it for the first time... until last week. I need Ascendis to register & display the incoming calls and for each caller, it must print a specific report file with the script you sent me last time. Last Friday, I was notified that Ascendis was not working properly with that script (although it has no sintax errors), it registered the callers correctly but printed 3 times a report that didn't match with the script typed. After I looked up for the problem with no success, I deleted all of my callers' info & categories & typed them all again... :shock:
By now, it seems to be working fine but I still have my doubts because of that situation. :?

So, my questions are... Can it be possible for Ascendis to behave that way by its own? What could the problem be? Could this situation be repeated? I'd like you to take into consideration the health purpose for which I'm using Ascendis.

Once more, thanks a lot Sir. :D

Enrique
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Questions about Ascendis' strange behaviour...

Post by Bill Root »

Hello Enrique,

I can't say with certainty what happened, because I don't know enough about how you have things configured. But, it sounds like some of the callers in the Ascendis Caller ID Callers list may have been assigned the wrong action.

I looked up your previous message, in which I gave you an Ascendis Caller ID action script, and a Windows Scripting Host script. The latter should be saved as a file on your computer and is probably not related to the problem.

I suspect that you added some callers to the Callers list and gave them a different action, or forgot to assign them the specific action I helped you with.

Ascendis Caller ID looks at each incoming call and determines whether the caller is known (meaning the caller's phone number was found in the Callers list) or unknown (meaning the caller's phone number was not found). If the caller is found, Ascendis Caller ID looks at the information in the Callers list about that caller to decide what action to perform. If the caller is not found, Ascendis Caller ID uses the Category assigned to "Category for new callers" in the Options window to decide what action to perform.

If you want Ascendis Caller ID to perform the special script for all or most callers, then put the special script into a category and set the "Category for new callers" setting to that category. In addition, if you want the special action performed for any callers in the Callers list either:
1) delete the caller, or
2) edit the caller, change the "Action" to "Category", and change "Category" setting to the category containing your special script

Ascendis Caller ID does not add callers to the Callers list by itself. So, either the callers for whom the wrong action was performed were already in the Callers list, or someone added them.

Another possibility is that you're using the caller's name to decide which report to print. Caller id (the service) often uses the same name for multiple callers. For example, sometimes a unique phone number is passed with the caller id information, but the caller id name might be a generic "Out of Area", "Unknown", "Wireless Caller", "Ohio", or similar. If you're basing the report file name on the caller id information, use the phone number, or make sure all the callers are in your Callers list.

If one of the above does not sound like the problem, then I'll need more details, such as whether the report name varies by caller, and whether the report should be printed for all callers, most callers, or some callers.

If any of this is unclear, I'd be happy to elaborate.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software