Computer Voice

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
greghh

Computer Voice

Post by greghh »

Hi Bill,
No matter what I do, I still hear that stupid computer voice that says, "call from...". How can I completely eliminate hearing any part of that automated voice other than turning my speaker off?

All I want to hear is the ring. Sometimes all I hear is "Call fr".

Also, I am thoroughly confused with scripts. For example, when I use "Default" under the category, exactly what does that (default) do? It seems that no matter how I set it (Block, Default, Do Nothing, etc.), it still does the same thing. I still hear that blasted computer robot voice, which I hate.

Thanks.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Computer Voice

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Greg,
No matter what I do, I still hear that stupid computer voice that says, "call from...". How can I completely eliminate hearing any part of that automated voice other than turning my speaker off? All I want to hear is the ring. Sometimes all I hear is "Call fr".
You can turn off all sound in Ascendis Caller ID with one setting, but not just speech. This setting is "Disable sound (including speech) in all actions" on the "Sound" page of the Options window. Since you want to hear ring sounds for each caller, this will not do what you want.

To turn just speech off, we have to disable speech in all used actions. When Ascendis Caller ID is first installed, four actions are normally used:
1) Out of Area calls use the action defined in the "Out of Area" caller in the Callers list
2) Private or anonymous calls use the action defined in the "Blocked" caller in the Callers list
3) When no caller information is received, the action defined in the caller named "No Caller Information" is used
4) All other calls use the action defined in the "Default" category

If you changed the "Category for new callers" setting on the General page of the Options window, as we discussed, that is now the catchall category, and you would have to disable speech in it.

If you added any callers to the Callers list, you will have to make sure speech is not enabled for them. When you add a caller, the action is initially set to "Category" and the category is set to the "Category for new callers" setting.

If you get speech for callers that are not in the callers list, first check the "Category for new callers" setting in the Options window. Then check the action for that category by double-clicking on that category in the Category list.

If you get speech for callers that are in the callers list, double-click on the caller in the Callers list and check the action. Remember that the action for callers can be defined by the assigned category, if Action is set to "Category", or directly within the caller if Action is "None", "Easy", or "Advanced".

Also, I am thoroughly confused with scripts. For example, when I use "Default" under the category, exactly what does that (default) do? It seems that no matter how I set it (Block, Default, Do Nothing, etc.), it still does the same thing. I still hear that blasted computer robot voice, which I hate.
I apologize for the complexity. Ascendis Caller ID gives you complete control over what happens for each caller, at the cost of complexity. This will be somewhat improved in version 2.

If you configure a caller (in the Callers list) to the "Default" category and set its "Action" to "Category", then whenever the caller calls, Ascendis Caller ID will perform the actions specified in the "Default" category. If, instead, you set the caller's action to "Easy", it will perform the actions given in the Easy Action pages for that caller.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear, or you would like step by step directions for any of these changes.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software