Various questions

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
GraemeP

Various questions

Post by GraemeP »

Hi, I'm currently playing with CallerID.

First thing I'll say is that it's the only caller ID program I could get to work with the zoom modem I have. And that was only with beta drivers from zoom and the "repair a modem" feature.

I will want to use this as client/server on a small network. So far I'm happy with what it does but I have a couple of questions..

Reading names from an external list:
My main application is a database written in VB which is being updated constantly with new contacts. I've imported the contact list to get started but ideally I would like callerID to read the names directly from my application (or a list that I can generate from it). Is this possible? Obviously I can dump the list into any sort of file type needed.

Multiple lines:
When I installed callerID I noticed that it also recognised the mobile phone I have connected via usb. I haven't played with this yet but I'm wondering if it can also detect calls to this mobile?

Licensing:
How does the licensing work for 1 server and a few clients?

Thanks
Graeme
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Various questions

Post by Bill Root »

Hello Graeme,
GraemeP wrote:Reading names from an external list:
My main application is a database written in VB which is being updated constantly with new contacts. I've imported the contact list to get started but ideally I would like callerID to read the names directly from my application (or a list that I can generate from it). Is this possible? Obviously I can dump the list into any sort of file type needed.
You can import callers formatted as comma-separated values into Ascendis Caller ID. See the help file under Import/Export for more information on the format. You can also export the current caller list as CSV to see by example. The Import and Export commands are on the File menu.

In order to access the names from your application in real time, your application would have to look them up and display any notifications. The easiest way to do this is to have Ascendis Caller ID pass the caller's phone number (and name, if you wish) on the command line to your application. You can also use COM objects if you prefer.

(In other words, there is no way for Ascendis Caller ID to look up callers in another database or application and use the info within Ascendis Caller ID. Even the link to Outlook displays the caller within Outlook.)
Multiple lines:
When I installed callerID I noticed that it also recognised the mobile phone I have connected via usb. I haven't played with this yet but I'm wondering if it can also detect calls to this mobile?
Ascendis Caller ID detects non-system TAPI devices that could be able to provide call information. I suspect your mobile phone won't provide caller id to the computer or that Windows isn't configured to handle it, but it's worth calling your mobile phone while it's hooked up just to see. You can always disable the device manually in Device options.

Licensing:
How does the licensing work for 1 server and a few clients?
Ascendis Caller ID is licensed per phone line monitored, so you would only need one license (i.e., purchase one copy) to monitor the phone line connected to your Zoom modem regardless of the number of clients. If the mobile phone actually worked for caller id, you would have to purchase two copies in order to monitor both.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
GraemeP

Post by GraemeP »

Thanks for that Bill.

I thought you would say that about reading the list! I have used the import which worked fine but I really want real-time.

I have also tried the "run a program" facility which also works fine - do you know how I would read the number in VB? SOunds like if I can get this going I can write my own notification window.

I did try the mobile but no joy. I'll have a play when I have the time.

Thanks
GraemeP

Post by GraemeP »

Having thought about this a bit more I've gone off the idea of doing my own notification window - because then I would the name details in the call records...

So another thought - would it be a major job to add an "auto import" facility - where callerID scans a specified directory for csv files then automatically imports and deletes them? With prompts/error written to a log rather than being user prompts?
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Hello Graeme,
Having thought about this a bit more I've gone off the idea of doing my own notification window - because then I would the name details in the call records...

So another thought - would it be a major job to add an "auto import" facility - where callerID scans a specified directory for csv files then automatically imports and deletes them? With prompts/error written to a log rather than being user prompts?
What you suggest is certainly feasible, and not what we would call a major job, but it's involved enough that it will be prioritized behind other work. If you really need this, we can talk about custom development services. Just send an email to custom at ascendis.com.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software