Using Voices

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
archyfox

Using Voices

Post by archyfox »

Hi Bill,
I'm having a problem getting Lernout & Hauspie American English voices to work witn Ascendis Caller ID. They show on the Options-Speech tab, but when I try to select one of them I get these errors:

3/9/2006 08:19:16 AM - Started
3/9/2006 08:19:28 AM - Caller ID Version 1.9.1.0 (1/14/2006 10:57:58 AM)
3/9/2006 08:19:29 AM - C:\Program Files\Ascendis Software\Caller ID\CallerID.EXE
3/9/2006 08:20:24 AM - Speech problem in SelectVoice: Wave format is not supported ($80040202)
3/9/2006 08:20:24 AM - Speech problem in HasAboutDlg: Assertion failure (D:\Business\ascendis software\dev\Shared\FSpeechSAPI4.pas, line 510) (EAssertionFailed)
3/9/2006 08:20:24 AM - One or more additional speech errors have occurred. Please check the Activity Log for details.
3/9/2006 08:20:24 AM - Speech problem in SelectVoice: Wave format is not supported ($80040202)
3/9/2006 08:20:24 AM - Speech problem in HasGeneralDlg: Assertion failure (D:\Business\ascendis software\dev\Shared\FSpeechSAPI4.pas, line 540) (EAssertionFailed)
3/9/2006 08:20:24 AM - Speech problem in HasLexiconDlg: Assertion failure (D:\Business\ascendis software\dev\Shared\FSpeechSAPI4.pas, line 570) (EAssertionFailed)
3/9/2006 08:20:24 AM - Speech problem in HasTranslateDlg: Assertion failure (D:\Business\ascendis software\dev\Shared\FSpeechSAPI4.pas, line 608) (EAssertionFailed)

Microsoft Mary v5 works ok, but I would rather have a more distinct voice.
I am running Windows XP MCE 2005 w/SP2.
Any suggestions?

By the way, I know about NeoSpeech and Cepstral but can't afford either of them right now.

Thanks,
Robert
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Using Voices

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Robert,

The Lernout & Hauspie American English voices that I'm aware of are SAPI4. Windows XP supports SAPI5 but not SAPI4 natively. Did you install the SAPI4 engine to enable the SAPI4 voices?

Can you select the voice in the Speech control panel on the "Text to Speech" page? If so, what happens when you press "Preview Voice"?

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
archyfox

Using Voices

Post by archyfox »

Hello Bill,

Ah...no, I forgot about Windows XP not having the SAPI4 engine built-in. :oops:

Thank you for the fast support.

Sincerely,
Robert
~~Archy
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Using Voices

Post by Bill Root »

Hello Robert,

You can install SAPI4 into Windows XP. I don't know of any problems with doing this, but I tested this in a Virtual PC just in case. The SAPI4 installer is available from Microsoft's web site:
http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/co ... pchapi.exe

It's listed on this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/MSAGENT/downloads/user.asp

As I said, I used a Virtual PC to test this because I didn't want to risk any problems down the road. But the Lernout & Hauspie voices did work in Windows XP after installing SAPI4. I prefer the female British English voice to the American English voices, and not (just) because of the accent -- the sound quality seems higher.

In any case, I was not able to reproduce the error you encountered, even without SAPI4 installed. I suspect we downloaded from different sources.

You will probably have to reboot after installing SAPI4. I did, although I was not instructed to do so -- the voices didn't appear in Ascendis Caller ID until after the reboot.

Also, the voices never appeared in Windows XP's Speech control panel. I did not install the separate Speech Control Panel from the above page.

A better solution would probably be to find free SAPI5 voices, but I don't think there's as many available.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
archyfox

Post by archyfox »

Thanks Bill,

I downloaded and installed SAPI4 as you suggested. I also installed the Lernout & Hauspie British English voices. My new female British English voice is working fine now.
I did not install the separate Speech Control Panel from the above page.

It is probably just as well you didn't. I don't think it works in Windows XP.

Anyway, thanks again for your effort on my behalf. This is truly exceptional customer support.

Kindest regards,
Robert
~~Archy