Not Playing the outgoing wav

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
Frostye

Not Playing the outgoing wav

Post by Frostye »

First off, I installed the software and it works great. Caller ID worked right off and playing with the application has been a blast. One of the simplest and most enjoyable programs I have tested.

Now the challenge is that the program isn't playing the outgoing wav files like ACR (Annon Call Reject) that I want callers to hear when they call my house and I'm not in the mood to get a sales pitch.

I'm wanting it to sound as professional as if the phone company is the one sending this message out. The script I'm running in the advanced mode is:

Script Results

speak "Call from {Name}"; Works fine
Speak "Playing A C R"; Works fine
PhoneSound "cancelrepeat.wav"; Does NOT Work
PhoneSound "spacer.wav"; Does NOT Work
PhoneSound "cancelrepeat.wav"; Does NOT Work
PhoneSound "spacer.wav"; Does NOT Work
PhoneSound "off_hook_alert.wav"; Does NOT Work
hangup; Works fine

With or without the //LANGUAGE=DWS line PhoneSound Command call is not sending out the wav files I want it to.

Once I get this function to work - it will have surpassed all expectations and will be doing all I initially wanted when I went searching for this software.
Frostye

Supplimental

Post by Frostye »

I am running Windows 2003 Small Business Server Web Edition with a softv90 Data Fax Modem and Intel 536EP V92 Modem,

When the Intel modem is checked as device in options... the Caller ID doesn't work MOST of the time. The Softv90 Data Fax modem has worked flawlessly - asside from the PhoneSound outgoing messages.

Thanks again.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Supplimental

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Frostye,

I responded to your item in the other forum: the Activity Log (View menu, Activity Log) may show some messages with regard to the failed "PhoneSound" command. Otherwise I'll need a Technical Support Report (Help menu, Technical Support Report) to diagnose further.

You do not want "//LANGUAGE=DWS" for the script as shown since it uses the original scripting language.

We have not tested PhoneSound with Windows 2003 Server but I expect it would work if the modem drivers support it. Please note that you will probably have some modem problems since you're using two winmodems in once computer. Typically what happens is some functions work, and some don't (like caller id). You may experience slowdowns or freezes during some modem operations. We do not recommend it. If you need more than one modem, use an external serial modem (virtually all USB modems are winmodems) or, if you find one, an internal modem with a hardware controller.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Frostye

New modem new problem

Post by Frostye »

Bill you have been a wealth of information thus far. I really want to make this software work out as an automated call screener... it is by far the easiest and most versital program I have found out there to date.

I took your advice again. Got another modem. This one is a 3COM US Robotics with a Sound card input for TAD.

If you will recall earlier, I had a soft v90 modem that wouldn't pick up the phone and couldn't play the PhoneSound? This one is ahrdware controlled, PCI internal and picks up the line, but will not disengage it. WEIRD.

Now I'm getting this:
3/22/2005 02:13:11 AM - Started
3/22/2005 02:13:11 AM - Caller ID Version 1.8.1.0 (1/30/2005 2:13:14 PM)
3/22/2005 02:13:11 AM - C:\Program Files\Ascendis Software\Caller ID\CallerID.EXE
3/22/2005 08:12:44 AM - Syntax problem: Unknown command if (DayOfWeek(Date) >= 1) and (DayOfWeek(Date) <= 7) then
3/22/2005 08:12:48 AM - TfxLineCallback: Could not play wave file "C:\Program Files\Ascendis Software\Caller ID\callingarea.wav" (Exception)
3/22/2005 08:12:48 AM - Script problem: Could not play sound over phone because Could not play wave file "C:\Program Files\Ascendis Software\Caller ID\cancelrepeat.wav" PhoneSound "spacer.wav";

It does pick up. Doesn't play the wav file for a different reason and goes right over (ignores) the hangup call.

HELP!
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: New modem new problem

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Frostye,
3/22/2005 08:12:44 AM - Syntax problem: Unknown command if (DayOfWeek(Date) >= 1) and (DayOfWeek(Date) <= 7) then
This may be because the script does not include "// LANGUAGE=DWS". The "if" command is only available in the DWS script language, which requires the LANGUAGE identifier before any statements.
3/22/2005 08:12:48 AM - TfxLineCallback: Could not play wave file "C:\Program Files\Ascendis Software\Caller ID\callingarea.wav" (Exception)
3/22/2005 08:12:48 AM - Script problem: Could not play sound over phone because Could not play wave file "C:\Program Files\Ascendis Software\Caller ID\cancelrepeat.wav" PhoneSound "spacer.wav";
I'm not certain of the problem here -- could you post the action script? Also, if you haven't successfully played any sound over the phone, try a simple action that just plays the "Disconnect Tones.wav" supplied with Ascendis Caller ID:

Code: Select all

//LANGUAGE=DWS
PhoneSound&#40;'Disconnect Tones.wav'&#41;;
Hangup;
"Disconnect Tones.wav" is formatted as PCM 16bit mono sampled at 8khz. This works with the voice modems we have here. If this wave file works but yours don't, use Sound Recorder to convert your sounds to this format.

If these changes don't work, we'll look elsewhere.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Frostye

Success!!

Post by Frostye »

Houston we have full functionality!

Everything works... CID, PhoneSound, Speak - everything works.

Analysis: Ease of use 5 stars out of five. If you are looking for a great call screener for business or home this product is is everything you're looking for - short of a Telephone Answering Device or FAX.

Key points when using:

//LANGUAGE=DWS must be capitalized no lower case.
Modem should be Hardware controlled.
If your modem has a four conductor sound input jack like most CD drives or DVD drives have for direct link to your sound card - you can about garantee your sound card will work with this software.

Recommendations: In Help more code for scripts and maybe a link to the Knowledge Base or FAQ page.

Thank you, Bill You're awesome!
(Now if I could just convince you to add the Voice Mail and fax Features)
<grins>

Frosty E Hardison
COO Griffin Resources Of Washington LLC

:lol:
Frostye

One last thing

Post by Frostye »

Sound wav file MUST be formatted as PCM 16bit mono sampled at 8khz.

My Computer Stats:

Windows Small business Server 2003 Web Edition OS
AMD Duron 1.8Ghz, 640MB RAM
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Sound card - with CD, TAD & Aux inputs
3Com US Robotics 56k v.92 with sound support port
(Sound card TAD cable connected to modem )
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Success!!

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Frostye,

Thank you for sharing your results! I'm glad to hear it's working.
//LANGUAGE=DWS must be capitalized no lower case.
This is no longer case sensitive. The change will be in the next beta release. Thank you for pointing this out!

Does your modem have a model number like "USR5610B"? This might be on the box or invoice. If you find it and let me know, I'll add your modem to the Modem page.

Recommendations: In Help more code for scripts and maybe a link to the Knowledge Base or FAQ page.
Good idea. I just added some advanced DWS scripts to the Sample Scripts section. I also added links to the forums to several scripting topics.

Thank you for sharing!

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software