Caller ID reporting

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
Pauley

Caller ID reporting

Post by Pauley »

I have caller ID working great! However, I do have a question. Caller ID reports all information it is supposed to if it is a local call, but when a call comes in that is not local to me, it reports out of area. Sometimes it will report the name and number with it, and sometimes it will only report out of area.

Is that normal?

Thanks for a great program. I'm a disabled vet and this has proven to be very useful to me! Before I leave my computer, I turn the volume up. When a call comes in, I can hear it in the other room! Keep up the good work!!
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Caller ID reporting

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Pauley,

Thanks for the appreciation! I'm glad it's helping you.
Pauley wrote:I have caller ID working great! However, I do have a question. Caller ID reports all information it is supposed to if it is a local call, but when a call comes in that is not local to me, it reports out of area. Sometimes it will report the name and number with it, and sometimes it will only report out of area.

Is that normal?
Yes, that is normal behavior, although it may not be as straightforward as it seems. The phone company is supposed to pass along all information (name and number) that it has available. As you can see, the amount of information varies. The good news is that the number of calls including a telephone number has increased, and once you have a phone number you can add the caller to your callers list. (Right-click on the call in the calls list and select "Add to Callers".) Then you can type in the first and last name of the caller, and when the caller calls back Ascendis Caller ID will announce the caller's name. If no caller information was received (such as when Ascendis Caller ID reports "Out of Area" for both the name and the number) there's nothing we can do to identify the caller.

Hope that helps!

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
http://www.ascendis.com/
Pauley

Thanks!

Post by Pauley »

It certainly does help. Now I know I have thing set correctly.

Thanks again and keep up the good work on a freat program!