deactivation

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
deb7890

deactivation

Post by deb7890 »

How do I uninstall Ascendis v3 from a crashed computer that is unbootable? I I have installed Ascendis v3 on the new replacement computer. When I input the activation code, it says the activation code is in use on another computer, which is the crashed one. (I guess the uninstall would go online and do the required deactivation.) Thanks.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: deactivation

Post by Bill Root »

Sorry to hear of your computer problem. I made a change to your license so you can activate on the new computer. Can you please try again?

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC
deb7890

deactivation

Post by deb7890 »

Done. That's great. Disregard my email asking the same question. Thanks Bill!
deb7890

Post by deb7890 »

Hi again Bill,
Now, for some reason Ascendis reverts back to version 2 on close & restart. At that point, I have to reinstall v3. The program does remember its v3 activation code so that the code need not be re-input. But the v3 doesn't hold.

Also, I want to download the accumulated calls from the Whozz Calling device but have purposely held off physically connecting the WC yet, realizing that I can't do the download reliably with version 2 which lacked the features that you developed in version 3 for downloading reliably from the WC.

Is it possible that the presence of new hardware drivers for a USB-serial adapter I installed today could have messed things up? I honestly can't remember if I had this problem (of v3 not holding) before today...could be just a coincidence.

The driver install added a COM8 port. Ascendis does recognize the new COM8. So no problem there, I don't think.

Thanks!
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

It sounds like Ascendis Caller ID version 2 is still installed and is set to run on login. You should start version 2 and disable "Start automatically when I log in to Windows" in the Options window. Click "OK" to save the change and close the Options window. Then exit version 2 by selecting "Exit" on the "File" menu.

Once version 2 is stopped, start version 3. You should probably double-check that "Start automatically when I log in to Windows" in the Options window is enabled on version 3.

You can uninstall Ascendis Caller ID version 2, but it might be good to keep it until version 3 is running as desired.
Also, I want to download the accumulated calls from the Whozz Calling device
You can enable this in the Options window, Devices page, Whozz Calling? sub-page, in the "Options" drop-down.
Is it possible that the presence of new hardware drivers for a USB-serial adapter I installed today could have messed things up?
I don't think so. I think that's just a coincidence.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC
deb7890

Post by deb7890 »

Thanks Bill.

As it turns out, it was the QuickLaunch shortcut to Ascendis Caller ID that was getting me into trouble. I had it still pointing to version 2 instead of version 3.

So, while version 3 would load on Windows startup, after that if I quit the program then reloaded it with QuickLaunch (which I often did while getting it set up), version 2 would "mysteriously" come back.

Why I overlooked such a simple thing, I don't know!

Kind regards.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Glad you figured it out!
deb7890

Post by deb7890 »

Hi Bill,

Now 7 months later, I've installed the program on (yet another) new computer. (This time, unlike before, the 'old' computer is a functioning one.)

I'd like to complete the move: deactivate on the old, activate on the new.

I could have sworn there was a deactivation feature but now cannot find it- is there one?

Thanks!
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Deb,

There is no command to deactivate, but if you uninstall it from the old computer, it will deactivate. Before doing this, please make sure your data is transferred to the new computer and that Ascendis Caller ID is running properly on the new computer. You can use Ascendis Caller ID in trial mode for 30 days to accomplish this.
deb7890

Post by deb7890 »

Thanks Bill.
This will be a client-server setup, therefore an uninstall on the old computer would defeat that. (The new computer is the server, in 30-day eval. mode. The old computer, with Ascendis already on it, will become a client.)

I was hoping for a way to accomplish this type of change automatically (with activate/deactivate commands) but it may not be doable automatically since there is no deactivate command. I'm not sure how others do this. Thanks for the help.
Deb
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Sorry, Deb. An uninstall followed by install is the normal way to handle this. Just make sure you have a copy of the installer handy (you can download the latest version from http://ascendis.com/callerid/CallerID_Beta_Setup.exe) and that you tell the uninstaller to keep your data. Your settings will be kept, and after reinstall you can activate as client using your existing activation code. Client activation can be done even if the server is activated using the same code -- each activation code allows one server and unlimited clients.

As you would otherwise, you will have to change the settings in the client to get caller information from the server. This is done in the Options window, Network page.
deb7890

Post by deb7890 »

Bill: All is clarified now and the setup went well. Thanks!
deb7890

Post by deb7890 »

Hi Bill,
I need help again, 3 years later, for almost the same problem, if you could please.
(for version 3.1.0.0)

1. The machine where my Ascendis Server lives, has had a motherboard failure. I will be replacing that machine.

2. Meanwhile, an existing Ascendis Client will become the Server. First I did "Deactivate this Client." So it goes to Trial Mode- OK. Then, on inputting my activation code, Activation Fails. It says the activation code is in use on another computer, which is of course the failed one.

3. So I think I need my license reset, as you did before?

Thanks and I hope all is well
Deb
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Deb,

I am well, thank you, and hope you are too, other than your computer problem!

Sorry to hear of your motherboard failure. I changed your license to allow another install. Can you please try to activate again on the new server computer?

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC
deb7890

Post by deb7890 »

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the breathtaking efficiency!
I'm up & running on the new server now.
Am doing well in these strange times and glad you are too.
Kind regards,
Deb