Call Waiting Caller ID

Modem compatibility and configuration issues.
frankpc

Post by frankpc »

Based on that, I think the answer to your question is no.
I agree. So maybe everytime a call waiting call comes in, the same process is followed.
.In my experience, call waiting service makes a beep to let you know that a second call is coming in. Maybe the call waiting ID query doubles as the beep.
Perhaps the beep is generated by your telephone when the CID data is coming in. I would think the actual sound of the data signal itself would sound like noise.
Also, like you say, if more than one Call waiting capable phone was off hook, they would all respond.
That might be rare enough that it was deemed acceptable.[/quote]

True. I was also thinking in terms of a Zoom 3095 modem responding at the same time as an off hook call waiting capable phone. I'm thinking that Ascendis cannot be allowed to respond back to the CO - just as it is now. The off hook telephone can handle the acknowledgement.

Do you notice that the patent article talks about call waiting boxes? I wonder if it was written before telephones started including the necessary circuitry. I know the boxes are still sold. And if you want you can place all your phones down stream from the box and then you can prevent a phone from ringing on a blocked call.

I messed around a little with the AT command -SCID=1. And made an obvious discovery that if that command is sent to the Zoom modem, the modem responds with call waiting data in Hyperterminal just like it does for standard CID. Nothing else is required. I was surprised to find that was so simple. It seems odd that only Zoom went to the trouble to do that.

Take care Bill,
Frank
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

It seems odd that only Zoom went to the trouble to do that.
It appears that Conexant added the command to their chipsets. I assume it's up to modem manufacturers to decide whether to include it in the modem. I don't know that no other modem includes the functionality. I'm more familiar with the Zoom 3095 than other modems.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC
frankpc

Post by frankpc »

Bill Root wrote:
It seems odd that only Zoom went to the trouble to do that.
It appears that Conexant added the command to their chipsets. I assume it's up to modem manufacturers to decide whether to include it in the modem. I don't know that no other modem includes the functionality. I'm more familiar with the Zoom 3095 than other modems.
I am sure glad you discovered that the zoom modem does work. I have searched quite a bit and have not found any other modem that does that. And had you not found the Zoom modem to do that to begin with, I would never have realized there was such a thing. As you will recall, I started out thinking I was going to trick a modem into recognizing call waiting data.

No false notices by the way. Seems the modem indentifies call waiting CID data just as reliably as standard CID data.

Take care Bill,
Frank