Getting a Zoom 3049c to pick up CLID

Modem compatibility and configuration issues.
JamesOakley

Getting a Zoom 3049c to pick up CLID

Post by JamesOakley »

I've been using a Zoom 3095 USB modem (on Windows 7 x64, using the driver that Windows suggests and the one downloaded from Zoom). It picks up CLID some of the time, but also goes for several days where I only get "No Caller Information".

So I've bought a 3049c, being the recommended modem for this software. As per the instructions, I've asked Windows to use the Generic 56,000 driver for it, and made it my active device in Ascendis Caller ID with TAPI bypassed. I'm using the latest Beta.

At present, my 3095 is detecting caller ID without any problem. But I get nothing from the 3049c. It detects an incoming call, but every call is "No Caller Information".

Before I return the modem, is there anything else I should be trying to get it to work?
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Getting a Zoom 3049c to pick up CLID

Post by Bill Root »

Hello James,

"No Caller Information" in Ascendis Caller ID means the modem didn't offer any caller information. This could mean the modem didn't receive any caller ID signals, or it couldn't process them (perhaps because they were too noisy, or only part of the signal was received).

Here are more things to try:
1) Enable "Prefer raw caller id" in the modem properties window of Ascendis Caller ID. To do this, you will first need to use a recent beta version:
http://www.ascendis.com/callerid/Caller ... _Setup.exe
Then open the Devices page of the Options window and double-click the modem. The properties window that appears will include the raw caller id option when "Access through TAPI" is disabled.

Raw caller ID mode should work with both your Zoom modems.

2) Check the Line Monitor (Help menu, Diagnostics, Line Monitor) for possible problems. The command to enable caller ID (AT+VCID=1 or AT+VCID=2 for your Zoom modems) should be sent and "OK"ed. The modem sends "RING" when the phone rings. The first RING should be followed by the caller information, but apparently is not for your Zoom 3049C. If you prefer, you can send the Line Monitor to us using our support page:
http://www.ascendis.com/callerid/support_form.php
Please make sure the log includes two or more phone calls. The Line Monitor log is cleared when Ascendis Caller ID is restarted.

3) Try connecting the Zoom 3049C to the same phone cord the Zoom 3095 was connected to. On occasion a phone wire can be subtly bad, and since the number of connected phone devices weakens the signal, the connection point as well as number of devices connected can make a difference.

4) If sleep is enabled on your computer, try disabling it. The Zoom 3095 modem, being a USB modem, could also be sleeping and forgetting it's supposed to monitor caller ID.

5) Leave both modems connected and enabled in Ascendis Caller ID to see whether one reports caller ID while the other does not. In weak signal cases this could happen, and each could fail in different cases. If this happens for you, submit a report request for a way to combine the modems.

If you're not using the trial version and therefore can't enable both modems at the same time, submit a support request for a temporary additional license.

In some countries (Canada and the UK, for example) different phone companies have subtle differences in caller ID signaling that prevent some modems from reporting caller ID. It's possible the newer Zoom 3095 has some fixes that the 3049C lacks. I would expect raw caller ID mode to avoid most of these problems, but I have no evidence to support this theory.

I have seen, rarely, a modem whose caller ID circuitry does not work while the rest of the modem works fine. If you have never received caller information using the Zoom 3049C, this could be the case. To verify this you should have both modems connected and see that the 3049C does not report any caller information while the 3095 does.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software