LSI PCI-SV92PP Soft Modem

Modem compatibility and configuration issues.
bilbat

LSI PCI-SV92PP Soft Modem

Post by bilbat »

Ok guys - I'm down to day 8 of the trial and still no luck at all!
I have a PCI-connected LSI PCI-SV92PP Soft Modem

So far:

I have tried TAPI/no TAPI;

I have used 'TAPI_LineWatcher' to see responses (none)

I have checked the relevant registry entries in unimodem

The 'repair modem' function suggests "AT#CID=1" as the activation command

The LSI documentation suggests:
+VCID=<value> Caller ID
Use this command to enable or disable caller ID.
+VCID=0 Disable caller ID.
+VCID=1 Enable caller ID with formatted presentation.
+VCID=2 Enable caller ID with out formatting.

The modem will accept either of the commands with a bland return value of "OK"!

I would just give this up , but for these three issues:

1) I am an industrial systems engineer, and some of my most challenging issues, back in the days before IP have been remote equipment incoming call initialization setups

2) At some point, using other 'rag-tag' software scattered about the net, I got a call log with two valid caller ID entries

3) I KNOW the caller ID info from the line is good, as my printer/fax keeps a log of caller IDs, and it's perfect!

diagnostic log at: http://www.mediafire.com/view/w9rdecy94 ... ticLog.txt

Thanks in advance!!
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: LSI PCI-SV92PP Soft Modem

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Bill,

From your description, I can see a couple possible explanations for the failure of your modem to report caller ID in Ascendis Caller ID:
1) The modem may be misconfigured. You have made many attempts to correct the configuration, but until we can demonstrate the correct configuration, we won't know.
2) The modem may be flaky. The two valid caller ID reports could be due to luck. I have seen and heard reports of several Agere softmodems reporting caller ID for awhile, then stopping.

I suggest using Putty, HyperTerminal, or another terminal program for diagnostics. You will have to terminate Ascendis Caller ID (File menu, Exit) to access the modem from a terminal program.

Once you have a connection to the modem in the terminal program, enable caller ID using "AT+VCID=1". (I'm assuming the documentation you found is correct; many softmodems respond "OK" to many commands they don't support.) Call the phone line attached to the modem from another phone. You should see "RING" messages when the phone rings. If you get DATE, TIME, NAME, and NMBR messages then the modem is reporting caller ID at least some of the time.

If you don't see caller ID messages after 5 or so calls, try shutting down the the computer and restarting after 10 or more seconds. (It sounds like the modem is a PCI modem; if it's a USB modem you can just disconnect the modem for 10 or more seconds and then plug it in again.)

If the modem still isn't reporting caller ID messages, you can try the test again using "AT+VCID=2". If it works, you will probably see a string of hexadecimal digits instead of DATE, TIME, NAME, and NMBR messages. I have seen that raw mode report something when formatted presentation doesn't work, although the raw caller ID messages produced were invalid.

You can also try the "AT#CID=1" command. I don't expect it to work any better, but it's probably worth trying.

If none of the above yields any caller ID reports, you can look for a different modem driver. I know you previously had two caller ID reports, but a newer/different driver might work better.

Please post your test results here.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC