64 bit computer modem

Modem compatibility and configuration issues.
jpsprouse

64 bit computer modem

Post by jpsprouse »

Getting a new computer. It uses a 64 bit operating system. My current modem (Zoom 3049C) does not have a 64 bit driver. Do you have any suggestions or other modems that might work on this system?
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: 64 bit computer modem

Post by Bill Root »

Hi jpsprouse,

If you're only using the modem with Ascendis Caller ID and you don't use the PhoneSound command, you can continue using your Zoom 3049C modem. Just install it from the Phone and Modem Options control panel as a "Standard 56000 bps Modem" and tell Ascendis Caller ID to bypass TAPI:
http://www.ascendis.com/callerid/help/b ... g_tapi.php

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
jpsprouse

Post by jpsprouse »

Phonesound is a major part of my setup. Will I need to go with another modem?
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

jpsprouse wrote:Phonesound is a major part of my setup. Will I need to go with another modem?
Unfortunately, yes, you'll need to use a different modem, unless you're talking about Windows XP 64 (which seems unlikely).

I spoke to a support technician at Zoom who said they have no plans for 64-bit Vista support. He said you can install the modem as a generic modem and use it, but without audio support.

Our modem page does not list any compatible modems with voice support under Vista 64. Maybe another user who is successfully using PhoneSound with a modem under Vista 64 can chime in?

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

We recently tested the Zoom 3095 Mini USB modem. It has Vista 64 drivers, but a known bug in Vista currently prevents PhoneSound from working on most or all Conexant-based voice modems. The bug is in the Vista code that converts wave files to the format the modem needs.

The Zoom 3095 has the same problem in Vista 32, due to the same bug. Voice appears to work correctly in Windows XP.

The bug does not affect all voice modems, because some use a different sound format, which Vista is able to convert to. Note that the problem did not exist in Windows XP, so Microsoft introduced the bug in in Vista. I have not seen a confirmation of the bug from Microsoft, but I have not contacted them.

I did not track down the bug:
http://forums.techarena.in/vista-hardwa ... ost4154261

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

The current beta version (2.2.0.17; http://www.ascendis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1342) will support PhoneSound on your Zoom 3049C in TAPI-bypass mode. Install the modem as a standard 56000 bps modem and tell Ascendis Caller ID to access it directly.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
jpsprouse

Zoom 3095

Post by jpsprouse »

Got the Zoom 3095. Had some problem configuring Phonesound. My 3049C had used phonesound at 16 bits. However, I found that the 3095 would only support 8 bit. I converted all of my Phonesound files to 8 bit and now everything works fine. Perfect solution using my new 64 bit computer that doesn't have a Serial Plug. Thanks for the good programming.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Zoom 3095

Post by Bill Root »

I'm glad to hear the new version is working with your modem and 64-bit Windows.

To help other people trying to use PhoneSound, I added a topic discussing wave file and voice modem sound formats:
http://www.ascendis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=574

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software