Voice Modems

Modem compatibility and configuration issues.
Pauley

Voice Modems

Post by Pauley »

I had to replace my computer and now I'm running Vista Home Premium. The new computer came with a modem in it, but I don't know if it is a voice modem or not. It is a PCI Softa Data Fax Modem with Smart CP. Do you know if it is a voice modem that I can use with Ascendis Caller ID?
Paul Bylin
Author of: The Other Casualty Of War
www.TheOtherCasualtyOfWar.com
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Voice Modems

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Pauley,

I'm sorry, but I really don't know. I don't have any experience with SmartCP modems, and I haven't been able to find out much about them. One reference claimed it was a feature that supported resuming large downloads if the connection is broken. If so, it's a feature that is presumably irrelevant to voice or caller id functionality.

I suggest trying the Ascendis Caller ID repair modem feature:
http://www.ascendis.com/callerid/help/t ... window.php

If no caller information is reported, then it probably doesn't support caller id, and therefore would not be a voice modem.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Pauley

Post by Pauley »

Bill,

FYI, the modem that came with the computer works well with the Comcast Digital Phone Service AND with the new version of Ascendis Caller ID, although I have only received one call.

The new version is awesome! I especially like the idea of having a photo of the caller displayed when they call. For me, it makes it even easier to know who's calling.

Thank you so much!!!
Paul Bylin
Author of: The Other Casualty Of War
www.TheOtherCasualtyOfWar.com