Multiple Modems

Modem compatibility and configuration issues.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Multiple Modems

Post by Bill Root »

Ascendis Caller ID supports multiple phone lines. By far, most users accomplish this using modems. Unfortunately, limitations of controllerless modems (also known as "winmodems" and "soft modems") make using multiple modems in a single computer much more difficult than it should be. If you plan to try this, please note the following:

Most or all(?) controllerless modems only support a single modem in a computer. It's not clear whether this is a fault of the modem manufacturers or a problem with Windows, but it is a known problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb ... 7/2/46.ASP

This means that users who buy two identical controllerless modems and put them in one computer will probably not be able to use them at the same time, which is no better than having one modem. The workarounds are:
- Buy and use hardware modems instead of controllerless modems. The modems can be internal or external.
- Mix hardware and controllerless modems
- Try controllerless modems which use different modem chipsets. Some people have reported success with this, but it can be hard to determine which chipset a modem uses. You may have to resort to trial and error.
- Use multiple computers, each with one modem, and use Ascendis Caller ID's networking features to combine the caller information.

In general, we recommend hardware modems over software modems because they don't consume computer cycles, are compatible with more hardware, and have fewer points of failure. Configuring two hardware modems in one computer can be tricky, but it can usually be made to work. Configuring more than two hardware modems may or may not work depending on the computer.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Last edited by Bill Root on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Modems

Post by Bill Root »

As an example of a successful multiple modem installation, one user succeeded in getting three 3COM US Robotics 33.6 INT (internal) modems working in a Dell 350MHz PC. Two were set for PNP and one was configured as COM2. I believe all the modems have hardware controllers.
tomfly

Multiple Modems

Post by tomfly »

What is the procedure for connecting multiple serial modems?
Modems are a real pain.
I have never used a serial modem, do they generally generate less problems with windows?
Thanks,
Tom
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Modems

Post by Bill Root »

Hello Tom,

Most computers have two serial ports. You can check the Windows Device Manager to see how many serial ports are configured on your computer. To open Device Manager in Windows XP, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

You may already have devices connected to the serial ports. Modems, PDAs, and GPSs are devices that commonly attach to serial ports. You can look at the serial port connectors on the back of your computer to see whether they're being used. Serial port connectors are usually 9-pin D-shaped connectors. They may be labeled "Serial" or "101010" on the back of the computer.

If you don't have enough serial ports, you can buy USB-to-Serial port cables. They plug into a USB port, and the other end plugs into your modem (or modem cable). We have and use a "Micro Innovations" USB-to-serial cable that appears in Device Manager as "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port". If you need many extra ports, you can buy cards or devices that offer 4, 8, or more serial ports. These may be more expensive per port than USB-to-serial cables. They may be more reliable.

Serial modems are more reliable than winmodems and don't steal CPU cycles for modem processing. So, yes, they generally generate fewer problems with Windows.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
JB Varner

Multi line hardware

Post by JB Varner »

Bill, Does the software work with multi-line hardware like the "Identifier" which monitors 2 or 4 lines and passes the info onto a PC via rs-232?

details of the hardware are at:

Code: Select all

http://www.yes-tele.com/mlm.html
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Multi line hardware

Post by Bill Root »

Hello JB,
JB Varner wrote:Bill, Does the software work with multi-line hardware like the "Identifier" which monitors 2 or 4 lines and passes the info onto a PC via rs-232?
At this time Ascendis Caller ID does not work with the Identifier. The current beta does work with the similar "Whozz Calling? Lite" device from CallerId.com:
http://www.callerid.com/?page=wclite&src=ascendis

The beta version can be downloaded from the beta page:
http://ascendis.com/callerid/beta.php

We expect the beta version to become an official release shortly.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Last edited by Bill Root on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indigo

using cdms mobile and land line

Post by indigo »

hi bill
i am using a cdma FIxed Wireless Phone which i conncet by usb cabe (com 3)l to my pc and i also have an land line phone which i connect through 56 k modem which is com 2 on my pc . The cdma connection gives me speed of 115 k and land line 56 k . Will it be possible to use both of these modems together at same time ? And speed will be around 170 k?

regards
indigo
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: using cdms mobile and land line

Post by Bill Root »

Hello indigo,

Are you trying to get caller id information through both devices, or access the internet?

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software