recommend a modem

Modem compatibility and configuration issues.
Pauley

recommend a modem

Post by Pauley »

I have a USR Robitics modem that works pretty well with Acendis. However it is not a voice modem, which is what I would like so I can implement some of the features Acendis has.

Can you recommend a good voice/fax/modem that isn't very expensive?

When I start looking at them, I easily get confused.

Thanks Bill!
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: recommend a modem

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Pauley,

As usual, there is no easy answer for an inexpensive voice modem. :(

We still recommend the Zoom 3049C, but that's not inexpensive. The voice portion works with the PhoneSound command.

For an inexpensive modem, I still like the TrendNet TFM-PCIV92I listed on our modem page (http://www.ascendis.com/callerid/modems.php). However, the manufacturer has discontinued the modem and I saw one claim that it does not work with Windows XP SP2. It's working fine (including voice) in a Windows 2000 machine here. You can still find the modem (search on the exact model number using Google), but since it's discontinued, there's no guarantee that drivers will be available for Windows XP SP2 or later. On the plus side, the modem only costs about $11. It's a software modem, so on a slow computer it might not work well.

The other modems we've purchased specifically for testing cost around $50 or more.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software