Directory Level Selection

Use this forum to request and discuss features you would like to see added to DiskVision.
iansmith

Directory Level Selection

Post by iansmith »

With drives being 250GB and larger now, it can take 5-10m to do a DiskVision scan. Sometimes I just want to view one directory structure and not the whole drive. It would be nice to be able to select that and not have to scan the entire drive.

Can't belive I am the first post.. I could not imagine trying to survive without DiskVision. I used to use a program called wdu which is similar, but stopped working when drives hit 2gb. I guess DV works well enough to not need any support? :-)
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Directory Level Selection

Post by Bill Root »

iansmith wrote:With drives being 250GB and larger now, it can take 5-10m to do a DiskVision scan. Sometimes I just want to view one directory structure and not the whole drive. It would be nice to be able to select that and not have to scan the entire drive.
Hi Ian,

Let me see how feasible it is to support specific folders in addition to entire drives.
iansmith wrote:Can't belive I am the first post.. I could not imagine trying to survive without DiskVision. I used to use a program called wdu which is similar, but stopped working when drives hit 2gb. I guess DV works well enough to not need any support? :-)
Well, Ascendis Caller ID is more popular than DiskVision, but we also haven't been good about posting announcements of new versions. I'm glad to hear you find it useful, though! :D
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Directory Level Selection

Post by Bill Root »

Ok, I uploaded a first-pass beta version. You can download it here:
http://ascendis.com/diskvision/DiskVisi ... _Setup.exe

Under the file menu, there's a new command named "Open Folder...". This brings up a directory browser window, where you can select a folder to open. The folder still needs to be on a real or mapped drive.

Feedback is appreciated!

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Last edited by Bill Root on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for teh fast reply and

Works perfectly. Now I wish I could think of something else to add.

I do love the internet. I write commercial software too, and am glad to see I'm not the only one who likes to whip up a beta patch on request at the drop of a hat every now and then. :-)

--
Ian Smith
www.sportsmogul.com <-- Said commercial software.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Ian,

I just uploaded another beta that adds a Reopen item to the File menu so you don't have to keep navigating to frequently used folders. You can read the annoucement in the Beta forum:
http://ascendis.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

I checked out your company's website -- looks like you've got quite the thriving user community!

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software