Server Run as a Service

Use this forum to request and discuss features you would like to see added to Ascendis Caller ID.
dundandi

Server Run as a Service

Post by dundandi »

I would like to see the server running as a service on the machine where the CID modem is installed. This would let the server run even if the user has not logged in. Clients running on other PCs shall be able to pull data from the server in this state also.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Server Run as a Service

Post by Bill Root »

dundandi wrote:I would like to see the server running as a service on the machine where the CID modem is installed. This would let the server run even if the user has not logged in. Clients running on other PCs shall be able to pull data from the server in this state also.
Thank you for your suggestion. I agree that running Ascendis Caller ID as a service would be a nice feature. However, at this time we have no plans to do so, as it would require significant work and many more popular requests have priority. We appreciate the suggestion nonetheless as it helps us priortize future efforts.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Bennett

3rd party apps to run Caller ID as a service

Post by Bennett »

While this request waits patiently at the back of the line, you could try one of the many 3rd party apps that run applications as a service.

Search the web for FireDaemon, ioService, INSTSRV.EXE (2000 Resource Kit), or SRVANY.EXE (2003 Resource Kit). These aren't the same as Caller ID actually running as a service, but they should (I haven't verified it) get Caller ID running without logging on.
hake

Post by hake »

Works fine with FireDaemon.. :D
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: FireDaemon

Post by Bill Root »

Thanks for the info! FireDaemon is available at http://www.firedaemon.com/.
MEE

Post by MEE »

I'm running CallerId as a service with FireDaemon and everything works fine except speech notification.
I want callerId to speak even when I?m not logged in.
Maybye its a problem in windows to play sounds with no logged on user or is it in callerId?
Is there a way to solve this?
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: FireDaemon and sound

Post by Bill Root »

Hi MEE,

Normally services cannot play sounds. Is InteractWithDesktop enabled in FireDaemon?

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
MEE

Post by MEE »

Thanks Bill!
"Interact with desktop" solved the problem.