Number lookup speed

Use this forum to request and discuss features you would like to see added to Ascendis Caller ID.
nacogdoches

Number lookup speed

Post by nacogdoches »

When I first installed Caller ID, it would consistently locate the Contact of an incoming call before the 2nd ring. Now that I have added more (378) contact numbers (mostly blocked numbers), it takes longer to retrieve the Contact info and I often hear the phone ring twice before a nuisance call gets blocked. This happens even when my computer is otherwise idle. FWIW, almost all of the blocked numbers are assigned to one contact I call Unwanted Calls (~150 numbers).
Bob
Houston
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Number lookup speed

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Bob,

I'm not certain, but I suspect something else is responsible for the delay. I ran some tests with > 20,000 calls, > 400 contacts, > 6000 unique phone numbers and > 1000 phone numbers for one contact, and the difference between that and a nearly empty database was negligible. (I measured the time between call reception and running the action.)

It could be that you're using phone number patterns heavily or something else in the database that I haven't considered. However, the slowness you're experiencing could be because of logging, debug messages, or a slow computer due to many other programs.

If you're using a debug version of Ascendis Caller ID, try using version 2.3.0.0:
http://ascendis.com/callerid/CallerID_Setup.exe

If your actions log to the activity log or access other files, try disabling that part of the actions. Recent versions of Ascendis Caller ID log every time an action is run (which means for each call), so if your disk is full or slow, that could be a factor. Of course, database access on a slow or failing disk could also cause the behavior you're seeing.

If that doesn't help, check Windows' Task Manager to see how much physical (not virtual) memory is available and check CPU load. If those numbers show plenty of real memory and CPU time available, consider backing up your database, clearing it (by restoring the empty database included in the program folder), and testing. When done testing, restore your database.

Finally, consider sending a backup of your database to me (at support at ascendis dot com) so I can run some tests here.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC
Last edited by Bill Root on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Number lookup speed

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Bob,

I had another thought. You should try configuring Ascendis Caller ID to bypass TAPI and communicate directly with the modem to see whether it makes a difference. Sometimes TAPI responds slowly to the modem's caller id messages, as if it's expecting more information. This wouldn't explain a change in behavior of Ascendis Caller ID over time unless the modem or its driver had changed, or you're using a different version of Windows. Nonetheless, it's worth trying.

Instructions for bypassing TAPI can be found at
http://www.ascendis.com/callerid/help/b ... g_tapi.php

Another idea is to enable raw caller id for your modem. In the Properties window described in the bypassing TAPI instructions, check "Prefer raw caller id". This may not work for your modem -- if calls are no longer recognized properly, disable it.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC