Voice Mail

Use this forum to request and discuss features you would like to see added to Ascendis Caller ID.
MMark

Voice Mail

Post by MMark »

An OPTION (FEATURE) to use Caller ID and Voice Mail. Voice Mail sends out a msg/no msg signal every 30 minuets. That?s 48 unwanted listings a day. Include an off BUTTON for these signals so they will not be listed.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Voice Mail

Post by Bill Root »

MMark wrote:An OPTION (FEATURE) to use Caller ID and Voice Mail. Voice Mail sends out a msg/no msg signal every 30 minuets. That?s 48 unwanted listings a day. Include an off BUTTON for these signals so they will not be listed.
I'm not familiar with this, so please forgive my ignorance. Are you saying you get 48 call entries a day in Ascendis Caller ID corresponding to this voice mail feature? Does the call have a unique caller phone number?
MMark

Voice Mail

Post by MMark »

Yes! You are getting the idea. Forty-eight times a day Voice Mail sends this code. It comes in with no name and no number. It is sent so fast that it registers as only one ring. I (the person) get no indication of its presence except for an on-hook bulb on the line. For a line that is not in use, it comes in as offhook-onhook-offhook-onhook. In other words, the telephone company picks up the phone twice.
If I pick up the phone and put it down, there is no listing. But, when the telephone company goes off hook twice for this purpose, there is one listing. None of my other hardware or software list this event. Ascendis Caller ID is the only one. I like having a device(hardware or software) that will give me tangible permanent evidence of this event. I am not seeing things that are not there. But, for Ascendis Caller ID to be useful, I have to be able to turn the listing of this event off.

Or, Should I send notice of this issue to Zoom. Do they have a problem with there 3025C PCI internal PC FAXModem? No! That?s not it. My other software does not give any evidence that this event is real. But, it works!
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

After this has happened a few times with Ascendis Caller ID running, can you send a Technical Support Report (Help -> Technical Support Report) to support at ascendis dot com? That way I can see exactly what your modem is saying and what TAPI is sending to Ascendis Caller ID.
MMark

Voice Mail

Post by MMark »

NO! I can not. If I try to get a Technical Support Report, I get an error message.

RichEdit line error (Problem type ?EOutOfResources?)
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Sorry about that. That was fixed in February but is only available in the beta version. The beta is available on the beta page:
http://ascendis.com/callerid/beta.php

If you're uncomfortable with the beta, we hope to do a new release next week, so we can wait.
MMark

Voice Mail

Post by MMark »

I now have 1.6.5.27

Ascendis Caller ID Technical Support Report

[snip]
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Mark,

I removed the log, because it looked like it contained phone numbers. It's best to email them to support. It was also truncated, but I don't think having the whole thing would make a difference.

Here's what I learned:
- The "U.S. Robotics 56K FAX EXT" (id 0002) modem is sending a RING message every 1/2 hour
- Ditto for "U.S. Robotics 56K FAX EXT" (id 0003)
- The "Zoom V.92 PCI Voice Faxmodem" (id 0001) appears to be sending a RING message every 1/2 hour or every hour. The log for this modem does not cover the same time period as the other two so I can't corroborate it with the other ones.

Ascendis Caller ID was started less than a minute before the report was generated so it does not include any information on TAPI messages sent when the voice mail signal is sent. If you wait until the voice mail signal is sent and then generate a new report and email it to support I can check that aspect. However, I don't think it will reveal any new information.

It really looks like the modems are interpreting the voice mail signal as a phone ring. I don't know whether this is the correct behavior for the modems, but we can't change how the modems react. (Unless the modem can be configured for this -- I could not find any information on it.) Based on this information, it appears there is no way to distinguish the voice mail signal from a phone call with one ring.

I did some research on voice mail signals and found that this is normally handled with a stuttering dial tone, which I remember experiencing on someone else's telephone. I guess your phone company is just different.

Did your modem come with software to set the country? Maybe changing the country setting could "desensitize" the ring detection.
MMark

Voice Mail

Post by MMark »

I sent a new report. The Zoom modem is cycling every half hour again. I have no response from Zoom Inc yet.

Mark
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

I received the log, thank you. It confirmed my earlier conclusion, that the modem shows no difference between the voice mail signal and a single-ring phone call with no caller information. How would you feel if all single-ring phone calls with no caller information were automatically deleted?
Bill Root
Site Admin

New beta with DeleteCall command

Post by Bill Root »

I just posted a new beta including a "DeleteCall" command in the scripting languages. You should be able to use it to automatically delete the calls that appear when the voice mail signal arrives. To use it, download and install the new beta version from the beta page:

Once installed, run Ascendis Caller ID and do the following:

- right-click on one of the unwanted calls in the call list
- select "Add to Callers"
- if you like, set the first name to "Voice" and the last name to "Mail"
- click the "Advanced" radio button
- in the edit box that appears below the button, type the following:
DeleteCall;
- click the OK button to save the changes and close the window

Now whenever the voice mail signal rings the phone, the call should be automatically deleted when the call ends. TAPI determines when the call "ends". I expect the call will appear in the list briefly until it is deleted.

The potential problem with this solution is that you may receive normal phone calls without receiving caller information. Many modem users experience this. These calls will be automatically deleted as well. If this is a problem, we can write a more advanced script to check the number of rings as well, but this will affect all your caller actions in some way.
Mark

Voice Mail

Post by Mark »

There may be a problem with your DeleteCall. The New messages count is wrong. Now the header says I have a new call, but I see none in the list.

What happens when a NEW msg is DeleteCall-ed?
Bill Root
Site Admin

New beta with fixed DeleteCall command

Post by Bill Root »

Mark,

You are correct. Thank you for finding this problem.

I uploaded a new beta version which correctly decrements the new call counter when the DeleteCall command is used.

You can download it from the beta page: