Shared Database Version

Use this forum to request and discuss features you would like to see added to Ascendis Caller ID.

Could you currently use a network shared database version or would you plan to use one if one was available?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 5

Stu Gale

Shared Database Version

Post by Stu Gale »

Hi Bill.

I noticed in the WHS post the mention of a possible Shared Database Version for networked pc's and wanted to throw my two cents in that I would find that very useful. With gear being so cheap these days relegating an old machine to handle all the incoming stuff for home and home office is probably done by many others beside myself.

It would be even better if you could configure the database location inside the software somewhere for those of use also using small NAS devices...

Thanks for listening and especially for providing such an oustanding product!

Stu
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Shared Database Version

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Stu,

We could use the shared database version here too!

Our current thinking includes a database server service that would run on one machine, and a client that would run on various machines as needed. All clients would talk to the server directly for all call/contact/action/etc. data.

This might not be exactly what you were thinking in reference to keeping the database on NAS. If the database location is configurable this could be done but I don't know what the performance impact would be.

In any case thanks for your feedback!

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
csguru

Any News

Post by csguru »

On a net-workable / common database for the clients?

Thanx
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Any News

Post by Bill Root »

The shared database version of Ascendis Caller ID is undergoing active development, but is not yet available for testing.

All the following is subject to change.

At this time we're targeting JDBC databases, and Derby (aka Java DB) will probably be included. In theory MySQL or any JDBC database could be substituted.

The database will be separate from the server and the client. You can certainly run the database and the server on the same machine, but you don't have to.

We fully intend to support importing ACID2 databases. ACID2 action importing is not clear at this point.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
csguru

Shared db status

Post by csguru »

Hello Bill,

I was curious to see if you had an update on a shared db version?

Thank you

Mike
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Shared db status

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Mike,

The shared database version is progressing, but we have nothing to show yet. We have a console that configures the system, and a server that processes the calls, although the server is not working properly yet. No work yet on the client.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
jpsprouse

Poll

Post by jpsprouse »

I would also use the network option. It would solve the problem of my 64 bit computer being incompatable with a modem.
GraemeP

Post by GraemeP »

Hi Bill,

Just wondering if this is still on the cards? It would avoid me having 6 workstations on permanently so they capture all calls.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Graeme,

Yes, despite the delays we're still actively developing the shared database version when we're not working on the current version. You specifically should know that it will not support TAPI, at least not initially.
It would avoid me having 6 workstations on permanently so they capture all calls.
Have you tried enabling "Get new calls first" in the Network Client options? If you set "Process first ___ calls" to 0, missed calls will be downloaded but the actions will not be triggered when Ascendis Caller ID starts. We fixed some polling issues in Sept. 2008 (version 2.1.0.22) that could have caused some calls to not be downloaded. As far as we know this now works properly.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
GraemeP

Post by GraemeP »

Bill Root wrote:Hi Graeme,

Yes, despite the delays we're still actively developing the shared database version when we're not working on the current version. You specifically should know that it will not support TAPI, at least not initially.
It would avoid me having 6 workstations on permanently so they capture all calls.
Have you tried enabling "Get new calls first" in the Network Client options? If you set "Process first ___ calls" to 0, missed calls will be downloaded but the actions will not be triggered when Ascendis Caller ID starts. We fixed some polling issues in Sept. 2008 (version 2.1.0.22) that could have caused some calls to not be downloaded. As far as we know this now works properly.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Hi Bill,

I didn't know about this - so I'm assuming when ACID starts it'll go off to the network server & get any calls in the network database but not in the client one?

What's the defenition of a missed call? eg if I switch a client off for 2 weeks will it go and download all the calls for that period?
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Graeme,
GraemeP wrote:I'm assuming when ACID starts it'll go off to the network server & get any calls in the network database but not in the client one?
In a limited fashion. The client asks for any calls newer than the newest one in its database. If the client is only getting calls from one server, this should let it retrieve all missing calls.
What's the definition of a missed call?
In this case a missed call is one that is in the server call list but not in the client call list, as long as it's newer than the last call currently in the client's call list.
eg if I switch a client off for 2 weeks will it go and download all the calls for that period?
Yes, within the limitations specified above. If the client gets a call from another source (such as another server or a directly connected device or imported from a file) it will only receive calls on the server that are newer than the newest call in the client call list. If that happens unintentionally, you can always delete calls in the client back to a certain point, then restart Ascendis Caller ID on the client to download the new calls again.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
GraemeP

Post by GraemeP »

Sounds perfect!

I'll go and set them all up! Thanks again.
tbeckman

Post by tbeckman »

Just following up to see if any progress has been made on this development? Thank you.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Troy,

Yes, substantial progress has been made, but nothing is ready for outside testing yet. The server captures call information from Whozz Calling? devices and modems (no audio support), and the client displays the calls. We're currently working on implementing actions. Import/export has not yet been addressed.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC
http://www.ascendis.com/