Windows Home Server MediaSmart Server and Ascendis Caller ID

Use this forum to request and discuss features you would like to see added to Ascendis Caller ID.
dah

Windows Home Server MediaSmart Server and Ascendis Caller ID

Post by dah »

Will there be a Ascendis Caller ID Add-In for Windows Home Server? If one uses Remote Desktop Connection Caller ID version 2.0.2.0 installs and runs in Windows Home Server, but under Windows Home Server using Remote Desktop is discouraged. I've got it up and running on a HP EX475 MediaSmart Server, and providing caller ID info to my other home computers, but a Add-In for the Home Server Console would make this a killer application, IMHO. Any chance of us seeing one in the next month or two?

I'm new to Ascendis Caller ID and would be interested in sharing thoughts with others who might be using Caller ID in a network configuration.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Windows Home Server MediaSmart Server and Ascendis Calle

Post by Bill Root »

Hi dah,

Thank you for your suggestion. We don't currently have any plans for a Windows Home Server Add-In. A shared database version would probably bring more benefit to Windows Home Server users, as well as other users taking advantage of Ascendis Caller ID over a local network. After that, if we see more demand for a WHS Add-In, we'll re-evaluate.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
dah

Post by dah »

Bill Root wrote:Hi dah,

Thank you for your suggestion. We don't currently have any plans for a Windows Home Server Add-In. A shared database version would probably bring more benefit to Windows Home Server users, as well as other users taking advantage of Ascendis Caller ID over a local network. After that, if we see more demand for a WHS Add-In, we'll re-evaluate.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Okay is there a "shared database" version as of now? Am I missing something, or is this a limitation of the current version. It seem that if I have an action configured on computer 1 for caller 1 and computer 2 has the modem attached to it, computer 2 doesn't know about the actions configured on computer 1. And if I enter caller 1 into the contacts on computer 1 it does nothing for computers 2 to X.

So the networking is actually unidirectional and all network computers are at best remote displays for the server computer and can not actually interact with each other?

Thanks,
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

dah wrote:Okay is there a "shared database" version as of now?
Unfortunately, no.
Am I missing something, or is this a limitation of the current version.
Yes, this is definitely a limitation, and one we plan to address.
It seem that if I have an action configured on computer 1 for caller 1 and computer 2 has the modem attached to it, computer 2 doesn't know about the actions configured on computer 1. And if I enter caller 1 into the contacts on computer 1 it does nothing for computers 2 to X.
That is correct. We recommend people add all contacts to the network server computer (that is, the computer acting as the Ascendis Caller ID server).
So the networking is actually unidirectional and all network computers are at best remote displays for the server computer and can not actually interact with each other?
Yes, the networking is unidirectional, from server to client. Contact information from the Ascendis Caller ID server is sent to the clients when a call comes in.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software