Unknown caller but number is known.

Use this forum to request and discuss features you would like to see added to Ascendis Caller ID.
Stinky

Unknown caller but number is known.

Post by Stinky »

If an incoming caller can not be found in the database, there seems no way to be able to decode some of the information.

I.e. if an incomming call is (212) 123-4567 and this number is not in the current address book, it would be nice to be able to display "Unknown caller from New York"

Another possible use would be to display "Unknown - Local Call" if the area code is the same as your own.

Or if you have an office that has 500 numbers say from (555) 123 1000 thru (555) 123 1500, any number inside this range you should be able to display "My Office" instead of having to enter each one of the 500 numbers into your address book.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Thank you for your suggestion.

We hope to implement a more general matching scheme, possibly using regular expressions, in a later version. This requires some non-trivial architectural changes that prevent us from doing it immediately.

In the interim, you might benefit from a feature in the beta version. We added a locations table that can be populated with a list of zip codes, area codes, cities, states, and even phone number prefixes. If you configure Ascendis Caller ID to "Open separate display window for each call" it will lookup the phone number in the locations table and display the matching location(s).

To populate the locations table, hold down the right control button and select File->Import->Locations. The import data must be in CSV format.

We have done limited testing of this feature using the area code/prefix database available (for purchase) here:
(no longer available)

You can also download a sample database to see how it works.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Last edited by Bill Root on Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky

Let me know ....

Post by Stinky »

Let me know when you want to try using some Australian rules.

There are not that many over here ...

02 XXXX XXXX - New South Wales and ACT
03 XXXX XXXX - Victoria
07 XXXX XXXX - Queensland
08 XXXX XXXX - Western Australia
04 XXXX XXXX - Mobile/Cell phones

There are some others but I cant find a resource on the Net for them.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Australian Locations

Post by Bill Root »

Using the data you provided, I made a test Australian locations list. If you like, you can import it and see how it works:

-----START ON NEXT LINE-----
"NPA","NXX","COUNTRY","STATE","CITY","COUNTY","ZIPCODE_POSTALCODE"
"02","","Aus","New South Wales and ACT","","",""
"03","","Aus","Victoria","","",""
"07","","Aus","Queensland","","",""
"08","","Aus","Western Australia","","",""
"04","","Aus","Mobile/Cell phones","","",""
-----END ON PREVIOUS LINE-----

There should be six lines; I don't know how it will be wrapped. Save it to a file with the "CSV" extension. Then import it into the Locations table. Remember to hold down the right CONTROL key when bringing down the Import menu or the Locations option will not appear.

Also remember that as of now, the location only appears in the Call Display window.
Stinky

Re: Australian Locations

Post by Stinky »

Bill Root wrote:Using the data you provided, I made a test Australian locations list. If you like, you can import it and see how it works:

-----START ON NEXT LINE-----
"NPA","NXX","COUNTRY","STATE","CITY","COUNTY","ZIPCODE_POSTALCODE"
"02","","Aus","New South Wales and ACT","","",""
"03","","Aus","Victoria","","",""
"07","","Aus","Queensland","","",""
"08","","Aus","Western Australia","","",""
"04","","Aus","Mobile/Cell phones","","",""
-----END ON PREVIOUS LINE-----

There should be six lines; I don't know how it will be wrapped. Save it to a file with the "CSV" extension. Then import it into the Locations table. Remember to hold down the right CONTROL key when bringing down the Import menu or the Locations option will not appear.

Also remember that as of now, the location only appears in the Call Display window.
The data provided was cut and pasted into a .CSV file and when an import was attempted. Caller ID then bus trapped and an error report was sent to you.

I then loaded the data into Excel, and saved the data. The data now had no quotes but I was able to import the data as a dialog popped up saying how may items had been imported.

NPA,NXX,COUNTRY,STATE,CITY,COUNTY,ZIPCODE_POSTALCODE
02,,Aus,New South Wales and ACT,,,
03,,Aus,Victoria,,,
07,,Aus,Queensland,,,
08,,Aus,Western Australia,,,
04,,Aus,Mobile Phone,,,

As I cant see what has been imported I have to wait for a call to come in to confirm if anything is infact different. I will keep you posted.

Thanks
[Steve]
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Australian Locations

Post by Bill Root »

Stinky wrote:The data provided was cut and pasted into a .CSV file and when an import was attempted. Caller ID then bus trapped and an error report was sent to you.
I fixed that, sorry. If not for the beta, it would have appeared as a relatively normal error message.

Stinky wrote:I then loaded the data into Excel, and saved the data. The data now had no quotes but I was able to import the data as a dialog popped up saying how may items had been imported.

NPA,NXX,COUNTRY,STATE,CITY,COUNTY,ZIPCODE_POSTALCODE
02,,Aus,New South Wales and ACT,,,
03,,Aus,Victoria,,,
07,,Aus,Queensland,,,
08,,Aus,Western Australia,,,
04,,Aus,Mobile Phone,,,

As I cant see what has been imported I have to wait for a call to come in to confirm if anything is infact different. I will keep you posted.
Yes, Locations support is extremely limited in this version, which is why you have to hold down the control key to import it.