Updating contacts with Auto Import

Use this forum to request and discuss features you would like to see added to Ascendis Caller ID.
GraemeP

Updating contacts with Auto Import

Post by GraemeP »

Hi Bill,

As you know I use the auto-import feature (V1). Currently it adds new contacts and ignores those where the numbers already exist. Can it be modified to update existing numbers?

Graeme
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Updating contacts with Auto Import

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Graeme,
GraemeP wrote:As you know I use the auto-import feature (V1). Currently it adds new contacts and ignores those where the numbers already exist. Can it be modified to update existing numbers?
I'm pretty sure we can do this, if you can wait until after the 2.0 release. Would that present a problem?

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
GraemeP

Post by GraemeP »

No problem Bill, I didn't expect you to update v1 any more anyway.

Off to have a play with the v2 beta...
GraemeP

Post by GraemeP »

Don't forget this one Bill! 8)
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

I didn't forget, Graeme! The new beta includes this change. To enable it, check the new setting in the Auto Import Contacts window.

Some notes:
- In Ascendis Caller ID version 2, phone numbers no longer uniquely identify contacts since contacts can have multiple phone numbers.

- When importing from CSV files, Ascendis Caller ID uses the first name, last name, and company as the key for the contact. In other words, if the first name, last name, or company change, it will look like a different contact and may not overwrite as desired. (Instead, a new contact will be created.) If they're the same then all other fields in the import file will overwrite the existing contact if overwrite is checked. (If overwrite is not checked, only empty fields will be overwritten.)

- Ascendis Caller ID now (since version 2) adopts phone numbers to contacts found in the CSV import file regardless of the overwrite setting.

I know the above may not be completely clear, so please ask if you have questions.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
GraemeP

Post by GraemeP »

Bill Root wrote:I didn't forget, Graeme! The new beta includes this change. To enable it, check the new setting in the Auto Import Contacts window.

Some notes:
- In Ascendis Caller ID version 2, phone numbers no longer uniquely identify contacts since contacts can have multiple phone numbers.

- When importing from CSV files, Ascendis Caller ID uses the first name, last name, and company as the key for the contact. In other words, if the first name, last name, or company change, it will look like a different contact and may not overwrite as desired. (Instead, a new contact will be created.) If they're the same then all other fields in the import file will overwrite the existing contact if overwrite is checked. (If overwrite is not checked, only empty fields will be overwritten.)

- Ascendis Caller ID now (since version 2) adopts phone numbers to contacts found in the CSV import file regardless of the overwrite setting.

I know the above may not be completely clear, so please ask if you have questions.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Not sure I fully understand this....

Lets say I have a contact called Graeme with phone number 012345678 and I import Bill with a phone number 012345678, with I then have 2 records with the same number?
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Updating contacts with Auto Import

Post by Bill Root »

GraemeP wrote:Lets say I have a contact called Graeme with phone number 012345678 and I import Bill with a phone number 012345678, with I then have 2 records with the same number?
No. You would have two contacts, one named Graeme and one named Bill. Bill would now "own" phone number 012345678, and Graeme would own whatever phone numbers it had other than 012345678. If Graeme didn't own any other phone numbers, Graeme would still be a contact, but with no phone numbers.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
GraemeP

Post by GraemeP »

Sounds like that will do the job then!

Thanks