Integration with Outlook / Outlook Express

Use this forum to request and discuss features you would like to see added to Ascendis Caller ID.
Stinky

Integration with Outlook / Outlook Express

Post by Stinky »

I already have an address book, (so does everyone else who uses Outlook or Outlook express). Is there any way our existing address books can be used instead of using the "inbuilt" one? I supose it means that any names matching in Outlook can not have actions.

Intrgration with the Outlook journal would be nice to. You could see the incoming calls on journal time line.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Integration with Outlook / Outlook Express

Post by Bill Root »

Thank you for the suggestions.

At this time we have no plans to use Outlook's address book directly. As you mentioned, actions would be one problem. While I haven't done any tests, I suspect performance would also be an issue.

One thing we are considering is the ability to import from Outlook. (I don't know whether Outlook Express would be supported; it depends on how different the interface is, and how many users request it.) Would this be sufficient, or helpful?

I added the Outlook Journal suggestion to our requested features database. Yours is the first request for this feature, so it's lower in priority than many others.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Stinky

Must be possible ... not easy but possible.

Post by Stinky »

A visit to "virus writing school" looks like something to do soon :) Dont viruses open your Outlook or Outlook Express address book before sending out a whole load of emails?

Im sure its an interface like MAPI (or something like that) that works with your current default email client (no matter which one this is) so there is a common API to read/write data to your address book.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Integration with Outlook / Outlook Express

Post by Bill Root »

Outlook integration certainly is possible -- Outlook has a defined COM interface. I haven't looked into Outlook Express yet. It may be the same.

I was not suggesting that accessing Outlook was not possible. In fact, we intend to do it for importing contacts. Importing is not the same as accessing it each time a call comes in, however. While we might consider this, at this time I have no idea what the performance would be. Another possibility may be frequent, automated updating from Outlook.
Stinky

My preferance.

Post by Stinky »

If real time access is not feasible due to speed, I would suggest getting a snap shot of all the numbers in your current address book when Caller ID starts with a way they can be updated manually if needed.

Any other suggestions anyone?