Use for companies

Use this forum to request and discuss features you would like to see added to Ascendis Caller ID.
JMorjaria

Use for companies

Post by JMorjaria »

Ok, I am a software director looking to incorporate a thrid party CallID package into web based software. From what I have read this isnt too difficult. I want when the phone to ring the third party package links with my software package to do the search, this will work fine.

However my customers will not want a new window to pop up each time. How does this work with your software, will it open a new web browser window, or use exisiting ones.

Also, I am not sure what hardware is needed. My customers already have landlines, mainly UK BT lines. How does this software integrate with the landlines?
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Use for companies

Post by Bill Root »

Hello JMorjaria,
JMorjaria wrote:Ok, I am a software director looking to incorporate a third party CallID package into web based software. From what I have read this isn't too difficult. I want when the phone to ring the third party package links with my software package to do the search, this will work fine.
If by this you mean you want the third party package (Ascendis Caller ID in this case) to access your web page when the phone rings, then this is easily accomplished using the "Run Program" action and a URL.
However my customers will not want a new window to pop up each time. How does this work with your software, will it open a new web browser window, or use existing ones.
This is determined by a setting within the user's browser, not by Ascendis Caller ID. For example, in Internet Explorer 6, the "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" option on the Advanced page of the Internet Options window controls this.

If you always want it to work the same way regardless of the user's browser, you may be able to hard code launching a specific browser and passing the URL directly, but I have not investigated this.
Also, I am not sure what hardware is needed. My customers already have landlines, mainly UK BT lines. How does this software integrate with the landlines?
Ascendis Caller ID relies on caller id modems, Whozz Calling? devices, or other TAPI devices to obtain the caller identification. This is harder in the UK than many other countries because of caller id protocol differences between the phone companies. The company making Whozz Calling? devices has been working closely with customers in the UK to support caller id there. Their products are listed on their web site:
http://www.callerid.com/?page=guide&src=ascendis

Their main page states the following about compatibility:
Compatible with all international Caller ID formats including FSK, DTMF, ETSI, and UK-BT (British Telecom)
You can contact them directly if you have concerns about non-BT compatibility.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software