Call Waiting

Use this forum to request and discuss features you would like to see added to Ascendis Caller ID.
Frostye

Call Waiting

Post by Frostye »

Hey Bill,

Have you done anything to capture the caller ID from call waiting?

If so, where are you with that and when can we expect that feature added?

Frostye
IT Professional
PREI Business Manager/Owner
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Call Waiting

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Frostye,

We're still waiting for a modem (or other device) to report call waiting ID the same way normal caller ID is reported, and to report it when the modem (or other device) is not in use as well. Otherwise it's of limited use.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
iq100

Post by iq100 »

Bill Root wrote, "... We're still waiting for a modem (or other device) to report call waiting ID the same way normal caller ID is reported ..."

Yes, I understand that. I would think that by now there ought to be a modem that does TAPI call waiting caller id. Is there?

Bill Root wrote, "... and to report it when the modem (or other device) is not in use as well. Otherwise it's of limited use. ..."

I do not understand what this means. Perhaps related to this is my experience that when I have Microsoft FAX in XP set to answer a fax call, I believe either automatically or manually, that Ascendis Software will NOT share the modem and will NOT work. I have to NOT use Microsoft FAX ability to answer a fax in order to run Ascendis Software Caller ID. Any way to have your software share the modem with Microsoft FAX?

Keep up the good work. I hope you can and will respond quickly. Thanks.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Hello iq100,
iq100 wrote:I would think that by now there ought to be a modem that does TAPI call waiting caller id. Is there?
We have not yet found such a device. If you find one, please let us know!

I suspect part of the problem is that Unimodem/V (the TAPI Service Provider (or TSP) for modems that is included with Windows) does not support multiple calls. (A call waiting call is a second call on the same line.) Presumably a modem manufacturer would have to write their own TSP. With the downward trend of modem prices and decreasing need for modems (given broadband usage) it's probably hard to justify.
Bill Root wrote, "... and to report it when the modem (or other device) is not in use as well. Otherwise it's of limited use. ..."
I do not understand what this means.
Actually, what I meant is that many call waiting id devices (like the call waiting id phones I own) only report call waiting id when the device is in use. If I'm on phone A when call waiting id comes in, phone B does not report it. I've never gotten call waiting id to work on a modem and I suspect it may be because the modem wasn't dialed up at the time.

I have a call waiting id box that reports call waiting id all the time. That's the kind of support needed in a call waiting id modem.
Perhaps related to this is my experience that when I have Microsoft FAX in XP set to answer a fax call, I believe either automatically or manually, that Ascendis Software will NOT share the modem and will NOT work. I have to NOT use Microsoft FAX ability to answer a fax in order to run Ascendis Software Caller ID. Any way to have your software share the modem with Microsoft FAX?
You certainly can run Ascendis Caller ID and have Microsoft Fax receive a fax at the same time. Make sure Ascendis Caller ID is configured to access the modem in TAPI mode. (This is the default case; you can open the modem Properties window in the Devices page of the Options window to verify.) Also be sure Ascendis Caller ID isn't trying to hang up or play a sound for the caller. When properly configured, Ascendis Caller ID will report the caller information and Microsoft Fax will receive the fax.

If you still have problems, make sure you're running a recent version of Ascendis Caller ID. The current release is 1.9.0.0.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
mbrown

Call Waiting

Post by mbrown »

Hi Bill,

I know that I'm beating a dead horse here and I'm sure you're tired of answering questions about call waiting but here goes...

Back in the days before DSL and such when everyone used modems for internet access, I remember there was sofware that would pop up a message when a call was coming in and allow you to disconnect the modem and answer the call. How is this different from what you're describing above?

Thanks in advance.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Hi mbrown,
mbrown wrote:Back in the days before DSL and such when everyone used modems for internet access, I remember there was software that would pop up a message when a call was coming in and allow you to disconnect the modem and answer the call. How is this different from what you're describing above?
I did not mean to suggest that call waiting ID reporting from modems can't be done. It certainly can be (or so I believe). However, we feel that the limited situations in which it's supported by the hardware and the number of current or future Ascendis Caller ID customers who find themselves in those situations do not warrant taking development effort from other requested features in Ascendis Caller ID.

I should state that I am not a call waiting ID expert and I have not worked on call waiting ID software or firmware. I subscribe to call waiting ID at home and have seen it work on a telephone. I have never seen it work with a modem, but I do not use dial-up internet access. In addition, the modem-on-hold software that comes with modems supporting call waiting ID that I have tested has caused stability problems, preventing their use.

As far as I am aware, no modem provides call waiting ID information through TAPI. I'm not a TAPI fan, but that's how Ascendis Caller ID retrieves caller id from modems by default. Most Windows caller ID software uses TAPI to retrieve caller ID.

Ignoring TAPI capabilities (as Ascendis Caller ID does when accessing modems directly), I know that call waiting ID modems can receive caller information when connected to a compatible ISP through a plain old telephone line with call waiting and call waiting ID service. It is my understanding that in order for a program to access the caller information, a driver is needed than can monitor the modem data stream while the modem is in use by another program (Windows, in this case). Given the small part of Ascendis Caller ID's target market that uses dial-up internet access with a compatible ISP and subscribes to call waiting and call waiting ID and the higher risks of driver development (drivers can crash Windows; normal applications are theoretically unable to do so), this doesn't seem like the best use of our resources at this time.

I suspect that some call waiting ID modems could also receive call waiting ID caller information when actively handling a phone call, such as when using a modem as a telephone or speakerphone. I have not verified this. Except for limited audio playback Ascendis Caller ID does not support using modems in this fashion, so it's mostly irrelevant.

I would imagine that somewhere a modem exists that can monitor a phone line in use without participating in the call, and report caller information when received via call waiting ID. When we find this modem we will seriously investigate adding call waiting ID support to Ascendis Caller ID.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software