Third Party Applications/Databases

Use this forum to request and discuss features you would like to see added to Ascendis Caller ID.
Randy

Third Party Applications/Databases

Post by Randy »

Hi,

I've been testing this software (client/server mode) for a couple of days and I like the way it responds to incoming calls (delivering caller ID info to clients). I am considering using it for our business but I need to be able to accomplish two things which may or may not be possible.

1) I need fire an application when the caller ID info is available ... and ...
2) I need that application to access the call record database and/or get the caller ID info at the time it is available.

I doesn't look like your application has the hooks needed to trigger an application, and I am assuming the client/server protocol is proprietary (and private) but I could be wrong. Also, I am not sure what format the databse is in (access format preferred) but It might be one that could be worked with.

Perhaps there is a toolkit or some tricks/hints that would help me accomplish my goals using your software?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Randy
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Third Party Applications/Databases

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Randy,
Randy wrote:1) I need fire an application when the caller ID info is available ... and ...
2) I need that application to access the call record database and/or get the caller ID info at the time it is available.
The most straightforward way to perform 1) and 2) is to enable the Run command on the relevant category (usually Default) to launch your program and pass the desired caller information on the command line. I can explain this in more detail if desired, but it should be pretty clear from the Edit Category window.

If your application has (or will have) a COM interface, you can communicate with it using an advanced script. I can help you out here too if needed, but you can peek at the "Show in ACT!" category's script to get an idea of how this is done.

Finally, you could write a program that connects to Ascendis Caller ID as a TCP real-time client. This information is not published, but it's not complicated and I'd be happy to discuss it with you after learning a bit about what you're trying to do.

Ascendis Caller ID 1.x uses DBISAM version 1 for the database. You can no longer get trial versions of DBISAM 1, but if you buy the current version (4) you can access the old versions. Version 2.0 of Ascendis Caller ID (not yet in beta) currently uses DBISAM version 4. Elevate Software (the makers of DBISAM) sell an ODBC driver that might be more useful if you're not a Delphi user, but we haven't tested it. I assume it won't be useful until we release version 2.

Ascendis Caller ID actions can export the database as CSV, but this is not practical for most uses, since this will take longer and longer with each call.

We also do custom work and could develop the application for you, depending on your needs.

I'm happy to elaborate on any of the above if it will help.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Randy

Third Party Applications

Post by Randy »

Thanks for the prompt and thourough reply. Your ascendis program can do what I need (although I have yet to find the application lanch hook, perhaps the eval verson does not have it).

Launching an application that can gain caller ID info will fit the bill and although I do like working with protocols I don't really see a need for that level of work if scripting works fine.

I'll be playing with this over the next week or so. Again, thanks for the response.

Randy
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Third Party Applications

Post by Bill Root »

Hello Randy,

The evaluation version does everything the registered version does, but it only does it for 30 days. In the default configuration, you can specify the program to run when a call comes in by doing the following:
1) Click the "Categories" tab in the main window of Ascendis Caller ID
2) Right click on the category named "Default" and select "Edit Category"
3) In the "Edit Category" window that appears, click the "Run Program" tab
4) Click the "Enable" button
5) Enter the path and filename of your program in the "Program" box. You can use the "..." button to locate your program using the standard File Open window.
6) Enter the arguments to your program in the "Arguments" box. You can use the "{}" button to enter macros that will be replaced with the appropriate caller information. Some macros may contain spaces, so you probably want to surround them with quotes so they get interpreted as a single parameter. For example:

Code: Select all

"{Name}" "{Number}" "{Line}"
7) Click OK to close the Edit Category window and save your changes.

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software