Conversion etc.

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID Multiuser that aren't covered by the other forums.
Stu Gale

Conversion etc.

Post by Stu Gale »

Hi Bill.

Just wondering if there is an easy way to convert the existing database in CallerID 3 to the new ACIDMU.

Also, is it safe to assume that the contact ID will stay current on all client displays as it is modified? I know in CallerID3 this is an issue that we modify the incoming data but it doesn't change the client data.

Also, are changes made from the clients to the data then propagated to the rest of the system?

Also, is it possible to assign multiple actions to a caller?

And lastly, do the whozz calling devices actually block the incoming calls?
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Conversion etc.

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Stu,
Stu Gale wrote:Just wondering if there is an easy way to convert the existing database in CallerID 3 to the new ACIDMU.
Yes, for the most part. Just export your ACID3 database as XML, then import it into ACIDMU Console using "Import ACID3 XML" on the "File" menu.

I say "for the most part" because custom ACID3 scripts in advanced actions are not converted. If you have some, I can convert them by hand.
Also, is it safe to assume that the contact ID will stay current on all client displays as it is modified? I know in CallerID3 this is an issue that we modify the incoming data but it doesn't change the client data.
All clients access and modify the same database, so the contact ID will not change if a contact is edited. All clients will see the same data.
Also, are changes made from the clients to the data then propagated to the rest of the system?
Yes, since all clients use the same database. However, if a client changes data, the other clients won't see it instantaneously. You might have to re-select the record or click the "Refresh" button to see the new data.
Also, is it possible to assign multiple actions to a caller?
ACIDMU supports composite actions, so you can easily combine multiple actions into one. This isn't exactly the same as assigning multiple actions to a contact, but it offers the same capabilities with one added step. Also, you can more easily re-use the composite action.

In addition, ACIDMU supports one client and one server action per contact. The server action is performed on the server, and the client action is performed on all clients. The server action would typically be used for blocking calls, sending emails, or other tasks that only need to be done once. The client action is normally used for notification, such as pop-ups or text-to-speech.
And lastly, do the whozz calling devices actually block the incoming calls?
According to the CallerID.com feature table at http://callerid.com/feature-table/, only the Whozz Calling? 4 & 8 (Deluxe) support "Call Blocking". This is not the same as hanging up the phone, since it disconnects the phone line coming out of the Whozz Calling? box from the phone line. This stops the phone ringing on phones connected to the phone line coming out of the Whozz Calling? box, so the calling party hears the phone ringing but you don't. This is most effective when the Whozz Calling? box is connected between the phone line where it enters the building and the rest of the phone wiring. The Ethernet versions make it easier to locate the box far away from the computer, if necessary.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC
Stu Gale

Post by Stu Gale »

Okay. I have a deluxe CALLER id unit, I think I'm going to give it a try.

Do you have any plans for a Mac client?
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

I hope to post a new release soon (this week?) with fixes and improvements. In fact, I added a "helper modem" feature for Whozz Calling? devices that lets you configure a modem to perform hangup. You can only cover one phone line per modem, of course, but old-school modems should work fine (no caller ID support required).
Do you have any plans for a Mac client?
ACIDMU should run on a Mac as is, including the client. Unfortunately the most recent Mac here is running too old a version of OS X to get Java 1.7.

If you encounter any Mac-specific issues, I'd like to hear about them, probably through
http://ascendis.com/acidmu/support_form.php

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC