Ascendis Caller ID beta version 3.0.0.39 now available

Discussion of Ascendis Caller ID 3 BETA VERSION software only! This includes problem reports and general questions on the operation of new features of the BETA software.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Ascendis Caller ID beta version 3.0.0.39 now available

Post by Bill Root »

Version 3.0.0.39 includes the following changes from the previous release:

- attempted fix for composite devices sometimes being handled as separate devices
- added debug messages around instance data handling to help find cause of "already open in another user session" messages

As always, bug reports and feedback are appreciated.

You can download this version here:
http://ascendis.com/callerid/CallerID_Beta_Setup.exe

The beta page is available here:
http://ascendis.com/callerid/beta.php
ATCtech

Post by ATCtech »

"- attempted fix for composite devices sometimes being handled as separate devices"

Hi Bill,

So it wasn't just me a couple of revisions ago? I remember seeing the composite device configuration acting up when it I'd get the duplicate call display.

Bob
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Bob,

I didn't know anyone else had a problem. I *think* it's triggered by doing something in the Options window and would normally be fixed by restarting Ascendis Caller ID. I haven't experienced it myself (AFAIK) but I saw it on a customer's system.

In any case, I hope this version fixes it, but since I couldn't duplicate the problem, I'm not certain.

Normally the call should be reported with the composite device as the device. If you see a call reported twice with one composed device for one call and the other device for the other call, then something is wrong, assuming the composite device is properly configured.

If you see the problem with this version, please let me know and I'll get you a version with more debug info.

This problem is distinct from one where Windows confuses two identical modems, although the symptoms appear the same.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC
ATCtech

Post by ATCtech »

Sounds like the same thing I was seeing with .37. Here's the comment I posted then:

"I installed beta .37 over top of .36 and immediately noted that every incoming call is being logged twice. If I watch the notification box pop open when the phone rings I see it happening, a very brief display of the call, a split-second blank of the data, then the same data is displayed again. The call log shows Composite Device #1 and the USB modem that forms part of the composite device (with my Whozz Calling box) receiving the call, rather than just Composite Device #1.

I did nothing other than install the new over the old and this started happening, so I did exactly the opposite and reinstalled .36 over .37 and the problem stopped."

I'll install the new beta and see if the problem has cleared. You're right, it seemed like .37 was stable for a while then the duplicate display would return. Maybe opening various windows in the program was triggering it.

And for the record, I'll be installing .39 over .36. I took .37 off and rolled back when the problem kept reoccurring.

Bob
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Bob,
I installed beta .37 over top of .36 and immediately noted that every incoming call is being logged twice. If I watch the notification box pop open when the phone rings I see it happening, a very brief display of the call, a split-second blank of the data, then the same data is displayed again. The call log shows Composite Device #1 and the USB modem that forms part of the composite device (with my Whozz Calling box) receiving the call, rather than just Composite Device #1.
That sounds related to but not the same as what I saw on a user's system. I saw the same call reported twice, with one composed device for one call and the other device for the other call. If both issues are the same problem, then the problem may not be as I thought. Can you report here if you encounter the problem with version 3.0.0.39?

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

I have not been able to duplicate the problem with calls appearing twice in this version. (The problem was apparently caused by the component devices of composite devices not being recognized as part of a composite.)

If anyone else stills sees the problem, please report it.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC
ATCtech

Post by ATCtech »

This release hasn't acted up once Bill. Perhaps my issue with .37 was closer to what you were working on than first thought. The Composite device has stayed 'intact' since the update to .39.

Bob
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Thank you very much for the feedback, Bob.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC