Ascendis Caller ID beta version 2.3.0.36 now available

Discussion of Ascendis Caller ID 2 BETA VERSION software only! This includes problem reports and general questions on the operation of new features of the BETA software.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Ascendis Caller ID beta version 2.3.0.36 now available

Post by Bill Root »

Version 2.3.0.36 includes the following changes from the previous release:

- include US area codes in Locations list (existing customers can import "US Area Code Locations.xml" from the Ascendis Caller ID Program Files folder)
- support importing Locations from XML files
- support overwriting Locations when importing from XML files (hold down CONTROL key when selecting Import -> Locations command)
- added CountryCode column to Locations table (this allows locations for multiple countries in the same Locations list)
- added DWS script function GetDataFolder
- Location window: widened latitude and longitude fields; use spin edit for timezone

This version continues use of activation codes introduced in version 2.3.0.30. Please see http://ascendis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687 for more information.

As always, bug reports and feedback are appreciated.

You can download this version here:
http://ascendis.com/callerid/CallerID_Beta_Setup.exe

The beta page is available here:
http://ascendis.com/callerid/beta.php
deb7890

Post by deb7890 »

Thank you for this version and for the new Country Code functionality.

I upgraded from 2.3.0.26 to 2.3.0.37, receiving for the first time this 2.3.0.36 functionality.

I have a custom Locations file. In updating my Locations file for this version, I exported the data by hand from 2.3.0.26 to the CSV format, then imported the CSV data into 2.3.0.37. The locations list had been blank upon first opening version 2.3.0.37, so that is why I did the export/import.

This was OK and was successful, but I don't know if something more automated was intended. Of course it's possible I missed something!

Also, while the CSV export/import was seamless, the XML export/import (that I first tried) aborted, saying that there was no Country Code field. Should Ascendis automatically handle this? (as, I believe, it did with the CSV import). Just a thought.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Debby,
deb7890 wrote:The locations list had been blank upon first opening version 2.3.0.37, so that is why I did the export/import.
I'm very sorry for this, but glad you were able to access your custom locations. (Ascendis Caller ID backs up the database before changing it, but it can be tricky to access.) It looks like an unreported error occurs when the Locations table is altered, causing data loss. I'm working on a fix.
Also, while the CSV export/import was seamless, the XML export/import (that I first tried) aborted, saying that there was no Country Code field. Should Ascendis automatically handle this? (as, I believe, it did with the CSV import). Just a thought.
Yes, Ascendis should handle this. I'll fix this too.

Thank you for the feedback! I'll post again when the fix is available.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Locations problem fixed

Post by Bill Root »

I posted a new beta version (2.3.0.38) that fixes the problems with Locations. Specifically:
  1. When first run, the Locations table is altered without losing existing data
  2. Locations exported from earlier versions of Ascendis Caller ID can be imported even if the CountryCode column is missing
This does not recover locations lost when first running version 2.3.0.36 or 2.3.0.37. The original poster (Debby) apparently already resolved this. For other users, in order to access that data, you must restore a database backup from before the update, such as the one Ascendis Caller ID automatically creates in the Db\Backups folder. However, remember that doing this will overwrite the current database. We recommend you:
  1. Backup the database as it is now (File->Backup Database)
  2. Restore the database backup made before the update (File->Restore Database)
  3. Export the Locations to a CSV file (File->Export->Locations)
  4. Restore the database backup from step 1 (File->Restore Database)
  5. Import the locations from step 3 (File-Import->Locations)
Finally, while brand new installations of Ascendis Caller ID include the new locations, they are not automatically imported when updating Ascendis Caller ID. This is as intended.

The release announcement page for the version including the Locations fixes can be found at
http://ascendis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1533#1533

The current beta version can be downloaded from
http://ascendis.com/callerid/CallerID_Beta_Setup.exe

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC