Slow Loading

Discussion of Ascendis Caller ID 2 BETA VERSION software only! This includes problem reports and general questions on the operation of new features of the BETA software.
lgregmiller

Slow Loading

Post by lgregmiller »

Ever since v 2.0.2.0, I have noticed an extended load time for CallerID. The program used to load in 6-8 seconds, but the 2.1.0.6 beta version takes 20-22 seconds. I didn't see anything in any of the Forums about this, so it is probably unique to my system - but if not, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Greg
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Slow Loading

Post by Bill Root »

Greg and I diagnosed this through email. Ascendis Caller ID 2.1.0.0 moved the device list from the registry to a file named Devices.ini. Greg's anti-virus program was apparently scanning the file every time Ascendis Caller ID touched it, which significantly slowed down startup. When he configured his anti-virus program to exclude the file, Ascendis Caller ID startup dropped from 22 seconds to 3-4 seconds.

This is not a problem for all anti-virus programs. We use AVG here and haven't noticed a problem with startup speed. Of course, the impact will vary with computer and hard disk speed.

If others notice a significant increase in Ascendis Caller ID startup time, consider adding the devices file to the exclusion list. Normally the file path for Windows XP is

Code: Select all

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ascendis Software\Ascendis Caller ID\2\Devices.ini
For Vista, the normal path is

Code: Select all

C:\ProgramData\Ascendis Software\Ascendis Caller ID\2\Devices.ini
Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software