Change Location of Ascendis Data For Automated Backup

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
Ringokid

Change Location of Ascendis Data For Automated Backup

Post by Ringokid »

I notice that Ascendis data (contacts, calls, etc.) is stored under the ProgramData folder. This doesn't work well for those of us who separate our data from the boot partition. This practice is common when regular drive image backups are performed -- the advantage being the ability of restoring the boot drive without affecting data.

Is there a way to move Ascendis data to my data drive so it can be incorporated into my daily data backups and not affected by re-imagining my boot drive?

Alternatively, is there a command line option I can use to trigger an export of Ascendis data to a folder on my data drive?

I know I cannot copy the DB while the application is active because some of the files are locked. If there was a way to shut down Ascendis, I could use the Windows task scheduler and TeraCopy to accomplish what I need to do to backup the DB in an automated manner.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Change Location of Ascendis Data For Automated Backup

Post by Bill Root »

Yes, Ascendis Caller ID stores the data under the ProgramData folder, since the same database is used for all users on the computer.
Is there a way to move Ascendis data to my data drive so it can be incorporated into my daily data backups and not affected by re-imagining my boot drive?
The only way to change the database location is to use an ini file for the settings, and to manually specify the data folder. That requires letting Ascendis Caller ID read and write an ini file in the Program Files folder. If you're interested in this, submit a support request and I'll send more information.
Alternatively, is there a command line option I can use to trigger an export of Ascendis data to a folder on my data drive?
No; sorry.
I know I cannot copy the DB while the application is active because some of the files are locked. If there was a way to shut down Ascendis, I could use the Windows task scheduler and TeraCopy to accomplish what I need to do to backup the DB in an automated manner.
This is supported. Ascendis Caller ID includes a file named "QuitCallerID.exe" in the Program Files folder that terminates Ascendis Caller ID. You could run this before the backup, then start Ascendis Caller ID after the backup.

Would an option to have Ascendis Caller ID automatically backup the database (the same way as File -> Backup Database) on some schedule be a better solution?

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC
Ringokid

Post by Ringokid »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the quick response. Although I haven't purchased a license yet, I'm certain I will when I'm comfortable there isn't some negative side affect lurking somewhere.

I also appreciated the configuration fix the application applied to the TAPI driver for my Zoom 3095 modem. I knew what changes needed to be applied, but didn't look forward to the manual process.
Would an option to have Ascendis Caller ID automatically backup the database (the same way as File -> Backup Database) on some schedule be a better solution?
My personal preference is to place the Caller ID DB in a dedicated folder on my data drive. Your users on the other hand may be better served by an automatic backup feature. I'm going to submit a support request for the INI information.

Dennis J
Lead Developer
Acme Point of Sale
www.AcmePOS.com