importing

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
mlanierjr

importing

Post by mlanierjr »

Greetings,
I upgraded to win 7 this week but forgot to export my contacts etc. Where are the files and can I just copy them into the new install overwritng the current empty database or will I have to restore xp and export through ascendis caller id?
Thanks,
Michael
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: importing

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Michael,

If you installed Windows 7 on the computer that had Ascendis Caller ID on it with your database and then reinstalled Ascendis Caller ID it's possible you overwrote your database. However, I don't recall the details of upgrading to Windows 7, so I'll assume that the old database still exists or you have access to a backup.

If you have any data in your new Ascendis Caller ID database that you might want to keep, please backup the database using "Backup Database" on the "File" menu. You can't merge this directly with your old database, but you could always backup the "old" database, restore the new one, export the desired data, restore the "new" database, and import.

While changing the Ascendis Caller ID database files, make sure Ascendis Caller ID is not running. To terminate Ascendis Caller ID, select "Exit" on the "File" menu since closing the main window (by clicking the red 'X' button, for example) normally just minimizes it.

Under Windows XP Ascendis Caller ID stores its database in

Code: Select all

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ascendis Software\Ascendis Caller ID\2\Db
You can copy this folder or its contents to the corresponding location under Windows 7:

Code: Select all

C:\ProgramData\Ascendis Software\Ascendis Caller ID\2\Db
After copying the database to the new location, when you start Ascendis Caller ID all your old data should appear.

For other people reading this, the approved way to transfer Ascendis Caller ID databases is using the "Backup Database" and "Restore Database" command on the "File" menu in Ascendis Caller ID.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software LLC
http://www.ascendis.com/