Time stamp not passing the seconds

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
rlmentz

Time stamp not passing the seconds

Post by rlmentz »

This started happening about 4 months ago, just in the middle of the day, when the time stamp comes through, all the seconds are marked as 00. The only exception to this is when there is no caller id information available, only then does it pass the correct seconds time stamp through. We have begun tracking our calls, and the order they come in , and if we get 10 calls in a minute, its impossible to determine what order those calls come in.

Is this an issue that has been seen before? I have also been working with our telco provider and so far they have come up with nothing.

Thanks for your time.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Time stamp not passing the seconds

Post by Bill Root »

Hi rlmentz,

The caller information passed by the phone company does not include seconds. However, depending on the device used and access method, Ascendis Caller ID usually uses the computer time when the call was received as the call time. This gets more complicated for Whozz Calling? devices, and varies with the model.

So that I can look into this further, please tell me the device(s) you are using to capture caller information, and, if you are using modems, whether they are accessed through TAPI. Also, what version of Ascendis Caller ID are you using? (The latter can be determined in the Ascendis Caller ID about box, or the activity log from the most recent startup.)

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
rlmentz

Post by rlmentz »

I was wondering where the seconds came from because a normal caller id box does not show the seconds.

Ok, Im using a Whozz Calling 8 Lite and Ascendis version 2.0.2.0. This had been working fine up to about 4 months ago when in the middle of the day it just started.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Well, I can think of two possible reasons why the problem started about 4 months ago. If that was when you started using your Whozz Calling? Lite device, that would explain it. Or, if you changed the version of Ascendis Caller ID you're using, it's possible that could explain it. I don't think the phone company could have done anything to cause it.

Whozz Calling? Lite devices only report the call timestamp to the minute. By default so do non-Lite Whozz Calling? devices, but they can also report detailed information, which includes seconds. Ascendis Caller ID uses detailed information when available.

To resolve your problem, I released a new beta version that adds an option to the Whozz Calling? device page in the Options window. If you enable "Prefer computer time" on this page, Ascendis Caller ID will use the computer's date and time instead. This will include seconds. I suggest you configure Windows to update the date and time frequently (every day or so) so the timestamps are accurate.

You can download the new version from
http://ascendis.com/callerid/CallerID_Beta_Setup.exe

The beta page is available here:
http://ascendis.com/callerid/beta.php

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
rlmentz

Post by rlmentz »

Bill,
Thank you for the reply. I have been using the lite version from the very beginning. There have been no changes to the setup or any version changes, ever. It had been passing the seconds and just all of a sudden quit. I have reset the server, whozz calling box, caller id program every single network hardware between the telco and my server. Nothing.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Well, another possibility is that due to a Whozz Calling? hardware setting or inability to get the date, Ascendis Caller ID was not able to parse the date from the Whozz Calling? unit and therefore used the computer date and time.

It's even imaginable (although I've never heard of it happening) that the phone company was not sending the date and time with the caller information, or it wasn't sending it properly until four months ago, preventing the Whozz Calling? unit from reporting it properly.

I can imagine several more improbable explanations, and I'm sure there are equally as many that I haven't considered. In any case, the new version should fix the problem, if you enable the new setting mentioned above. If not, please send a Technical Support Report.

By the way, you can always use the Line Monitor (on the Help menu) to see what the Whozz Calling? device actually reports. If we had a sample from five months ago (which we don't) and a current sample we would learn more. But it's moot now.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
rlmentz

Post by rlmentz »

Thanks Bill,
Do I need to upgrade all the clients, or can I just update the server with the new version?
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

rlmentz wrote:Do I need to upgrade all the clients, or can I just update the server with the new version?
In theory you only need to update the server. However, several changes have occurred between your version and the current beta version. I recommend updating the server, then watching a few calls come in. If all is well with the clients, you can leave them. (I expect this to be the case.) If you see a problem in the clients, upgrade them as well.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
rlmentz

Post by rlmentz »

Fixed.

Only had to update the server. Time is now showing the correct seconds and my life has just become that much easier. Thank you so much Bill, great support!!!!!