speech problem...

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
ivan77

speech problem...

Post by ivan77 »

is not a problem really but i want to know if there is any way to solve it..

my custom phone format is like this:

(for local calls)

X X X X - N N N N

(local with area code)

(AAA) X X X X - N N N N

The reason i use spaces between each digit is because i like the speech say the number digit by digit. For Example:

4793-1234

i want to hear it like: four, seven, nine, three, (breath), one, two,three,four

and the only way i can get that is using spaces but they are ugly for visual format.....

question: is there a way to use XXXX-NNNN format and hear digit by digit speech and not complete number?

thanks.
Ivan
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: speech problem...

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Ivan,
ivan77 wrote:is there a way to use XXXX-NNNN format and hear digit by digit speech and not complete number?
Yes, if you use the right speech engine (or voice). For example, I use NeoSpeech Kate (English) and it pronounces each digit for the XXX-NNNN portion. It pronounces the area code portion as a single number.

It's possible that a different format will let your voice recognize the phone number and pronounce it digit-by-digit.

Our Voices page:
http://ascendis.com/callerid/voices.php
includes some voices you can purchase. You can listen to the samples to see how they pronounce numbers. You may also be able to find free voices elsewhere.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
ivan77

Post by ivan77 »

Bill Root wrote:Hi Ivan,
ivan77 wrote:is there a way to use XXXX-NNNN format and hear digit by digit speech and not complete number?
Yes, if you use the right speech engine (or voice). For example, I use NeoSpeech Kate (English) and it pronounces each digit for the XXX-NNNN portion. It pronounces the area code portion as a single number.

It's possible that a different format will let your voice recognize the phone number and pronounce it digit-by-digit.

Our Voices page:
http://ascendis.com/callerid/voices.php
includes some voices you can purchase. You can listen to the samples to see how they pronounce numbers. You may also be able to find free voices elsewhere.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
thanks bill... but i think there is a problem with spanish voices... :(
i tested the ones from the link you give me and they say the phone number in parts (in groups of two numbers)

(810) 223-0326 ----> eight , ten , twentytwo, three,three, twentysix

(in spanish, obviously)

and i want them to read like the english ones....digit by digit..

the voice i purchased time ago called "Jorge V5" has the same problem.
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Ivan,
ivan77 wrote:thanks bill... but i think there is a problem with spanish voices... :(
i tested the ones from the link you give me and they say the phone number in parts (in groups of two numbers)

(810) 223-0326 ----> eight , ten , twentytwo, three,three, twentysix

(in spanish, obviously)

and i want them to read like the english ones....digit by digit..

the voice i purchased time ago called "Jorge V5" has the same problem.
Well, that's unfortunate! I dropped a note to Cepstral to see whether they have any explanation.

I added an item to our requested features list to support speaking phone numbers by digit. We might implement a {SpeakNumber} macro that separates each digit so the voices speak it as most people expect. I don't have an ETA on this, but it probably will not be immediate.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Ivan,

I spoke to someone at Cepstral, and I may have a workaround. He suggested using SSML (a TTS engine markup language) to make the voice speak the phone number digit by digit. It worked in the Cepstral demo, and in Ascendis Caller ID when using an English Cepstral voice.

To try it the demo, paste in the following, and click Speak:

Code: Select all

<say-as type="acronym">&#40;800&#41; 555-1212</say-as>
To use this in Ascendis Caller ID, change the Speak command for the desired Action (usually Default) to:

Call from <say-as type="acronym">&#123;Number&#125;</say-as>
If the voice pronounces the dash in the phone number, try this:

Call from <say-as type="acronym">&#123;RawNumber&#125;</say-as>
Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
ivan77

Post by ivan77 »

Bill Root wrote:Hi Ivan,

I spoke to someone at Cepstral, and I may have a workaround. He suggested using SSML (a TTS engine markup language) to make the voice speak the phone number digit by digit. It worked in the Cepstral demo, and in Ascendis Caller ID when using an English Cepstral voice.

To try it the demo, paste in the following, and click Speak:

<say>&#40;800&#41; 555-1212</say>
To use this in Ascendis Caller ID, change the Speak command for the desired Action (usually Default) to:

Call from <say>&#123;Number&#125;</say>
If the voice pronounces the dash in the phone number, try this:

Call from <say>&#123;RawNumber&#125;</say>
Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software

thanks.. it was very usefull... but only with the cepstral voices...
the voice i have is from loquendo. called Jorge

and the SSML is:
SAY-AS interpret-as="Acronym">(011) 4793-5777</SAY>

and it doens't work with mine.. only with english ones... :S

i don''t know.,. perhaps i should purchase a new voice that can interpret "Acronym" style....

but it would be very usefull in the caller id some option for creating a format for the voice you are useing