Network Client custom name data missing

Questions, problems, and other issues for Ascendis Caller ID that aren't covered by the other forums.
ATCtech

Network Client custom name data missing

Post by ATCtech »

Bill,

In playing around with a PC via an internet connection to see how the remote client real time and polling method works I noted the following.

If the remote client is set to real time display, the caller's name and number is displayed on the remote PC, and when I say name I mean the name as I've edited & added it to the callers list, not the telco provided data. (when/if available)

In running a polling setup I do get the last xx number of calls but the "custom" name data doesn't appear for any call - I'm right back to the telco data. I tried importing the caller data from the host PC so there would be a local look-up list but it makes no difference. Am I doing something wrong or should I only expect caller data on the local network or when connected remotely in real time?

Also, is there a way to keep a "master" callers list on only 1 PC and expect the client(s) to always use it, or should/do all servers maintain their own custom caller data? (Thinking of using 2 computers to watch 2 lines.)

Last, and sorry for being so long-winded, any thoughts on allowing the program to run as a service in XP?

Thanks,

Bob
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Network Client custom name data missing

Post by Bill Root »

Hello Bob,
In playing around with a PC via an internet connection to see how the remote client real time and polling method works I noted the following...
Ascendis Caller ID passes the raw call information to network clients for both Real-Time and Polling network connections.

For Real-Time network connections, Ascendis Caller ID also passes the customized call information on the server. In the future this will probably be done for Polling network connections also.

In either case, customized call information already on the client has priority. In other words, if the client already has caller information it will be used regardless of whether the server sent caller information. I don't know why importing caller information from the host did not work as expected. Maybe the callers already existed on the client? Importing will not overwrite existing data. Also, if the server has categories that are not on the client, the caller category, when imported on the client, will probably be blank.

To make an exact copy of the server data, you should export categories and callers on the server. Move the files to the client, or make them accessible there. On the client, delete all categories and all callers. Import the categories on the client. Then, import the callers on the client.
Also, is there a way to keep a "master" callers list on only 1 PC and expect the client(s) to always use it, or should/do all servers maintain their own custom caller data? (Thinking of using 2 computers to watch 2 lines.)
At this time there is no way to use a single database for both server and client, nor to automatically synchronize them. The best you can do is start with the same categories, then use real-time networking so callers added on the server are passed to the client. In this arrangement, if you always add callers to the server they will be passed to the client the next time the caller calls. (You can also hold down the CONTROL key on the server, right-click on the Calls list, and select "Send call to network devices" to send the call to the clients again, including the customized caller information.)
Last, and sorry for being so long-winded, any thoughts on allowing the program to run as a service in XP?
We don't have any new information with regards to running Ascendis Caller ID as a service, but you can find information on using FireDaemon to achieve this in the following topic:
http://www.ascendis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
ATCtech

Post by ATCtech »

Thaks for clarifying all of those items Bill, much appreciated!

Bob