Speaker stays muted

Discussion of non-modem hardware for use with Ascendis Caller ID.
Cliff

Speaker stays muted

Post by Cliff »

Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 7 from XP. Previously, if my PC speaker was on mute, CallerID would unmute it when I received a call. Now, the speaker stays muted. I have tried CallerID version 1.8 and 2.2 with same result.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Cliff
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Speaker stays muted

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Cliff,

As you probably guessed, we did not change anything sound related for Windows 7. Apparently Microsoft changed how mute is handled when a program changes the system volume. I'm not sure whether Ascendis Caller ID should change this behavior, as presumably the user (you in this case) would have muted the sound because s/he did not want the computer to make any sounds.

Ascendis Caller ID has settings in the Options window (Sound page) to change the volume while playing sounds and speech. If you've already tried that, then I suggest either
1) Don't mute your computer, but instead turn the volume down all the way (I understand this is less convenient because you then have to remember where it was when you want to turn it up again)
2) Use a program like the free NirCmd:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html
to unmute the volume before Ascendis Caller ID plays a sound or speaks. To do this, install NirCmd (or another program) and then change the Ascendis Caller ID action to tell NirCmd to unmute the system volume. The advanced action script to unmute the system volume using NirCmd would look something like this:

Code: Select all

//LANGUAGE=DWS

Run('C:\Program Files\NirCmd\NirCmdC.exe', 'nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 0');
(Of course, the above would be merged with the commands to speak or whatever you want done for the action.)

I can't check this in Windows 7 at the moment, but it seems to work in Vista.

If neither of these solutions works for you, we might be able to come up with a different solution. However, I'm still unclear why Ascendis Caller ID should make a sound if the computer is muted, now that Microsoft has apparently starting enforcing mute.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Thanks, Bill,

I'll try what you suggested.

I keep my speaker muted because of all the sounds Windows makes, like every time I delete an email in Outlook, which is about 100 times a day. :)

Maybe I could just turn off individual sounds and leave my speaker on, that might be easier. If that doesn't work to my satisfaction, then I will try the nirsoft program.

Thanks for your always quick reply. :)

Cliff
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Speaker stays muted

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Cliff,

I learned today that Windows 7 (and Vista) let you change the volume used for each application that uses sound. Using this feature, you could mute or turn way down system sounds and Outlook. To do this:
1) Start the application(s) you would like to have a custom volume
2) Click the speaker icon in the notification tray
3) Click "Mixer" at the bottom of the volume window
4) Locate the application you would like to have a custom volume
5) Change the volume to the desired level, or click the speaker icon at the bottom of the volume control to mute or unmute
6) Repeat steps 4 and 5 for any additional applications
7) Click the red 'X' to close the volume mixer

I think this is the easiest solution for you, given your earlier notes.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software