whozz calling device can't hang up phone

Discussion of non-modem hardware for use with Ascendis Caller ID.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Does anyone know if whozz calling 4 lite can use the block call features of ascendis software? The log shows "The device "Whozz Calling?" cannot hang up the phone"

I have the telco lines 1 & 2 going direct to the box and then to the phone. Should it route through the modem somehow ?

Thanks
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: whozz calling device can't hang up phone

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Leigh,

CallerID.com has a feature comparison matrix on their web site:
http://callerid.com/index.php?page=feature_matrix
It shows that the Lite units do not support call blocking.

Ascendis Caller ID doesn't have any special facilities to use a modem to hang up a line connected to a Whozz Calling? device, but if a modem is configured properly in Ascendis Caller ID and detects caller information, it can hang up the phone independently.

In this configuration, the modem is completely redundant. You would need one modem for each phone line you wanted to block, and also an additional license for each phone line. Each call would be detected twice, and appear twice in the call list. This can be rectified by changing the actions to do nothing if the call is detected by the modem (as opposed to the Whozz Calling? device) and to delete the call automatically. If you decide to try this I can give more details.

Of course, it would certainly be simpler to purchase a Whozz Calling? 4 unit that supports call blocking. If you don't already have the modems, buying a Whozz Calling? 4 instead of a Whozz Calling? 4 Lite + modems + additional Ascendis Caller ID licenses is probably cheaper, too.

I should also point out that Whozz Calling? devices "block" calls by ignoring them (and suppressing the ring), as opposed to hanging up on them, as modems do. This requires all phones to be connected in series with the Whozz Calling? device, instead of in parallel. With Whozz Calling? devices, blocked callers think the callee never picked up the phone; with modems, blocked callers hear a pickup and hangup. Since most blocked callers are automated dialing machines, this may not make a difference.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Thanks Bill

I already own 4 licences but am currently down to 2 lines so I might consider adding the extra modem. Do you know what the configuration would be to wire it like that ? I have a single wire carrying 2 lines (1/2).
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: whozz calling device can't hang up phone

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Leigh,
Leigh wrote:...I might consider adding the extra modem. Do you know what the configuration would be to wire it like that ? I have a single wire carrying 2 lines (1/2).
You will need to get a splitter to split the two lines in one wire into two wires. There are various ways to wire this, since the order of devices shouldn't matter, but for simplicity I suggest:

Code: Select all

2-line phone wire
         |
         v
  Whozz Calling?
         |
         v
      splitter
      |      |
      v      v
   modem1  modem2
      |      |
      v      v
    2-line phone
Most two line phones accept one wire with two lines or two wires with one line each. If your phone only accepts one wire with two lines, you'll have to put the phone before the split.

If you're adding a second modem to one computer, I recommend an external serial modem (such as the Zoom 3049C we recommend on our modem page: http://ascendis.com/callerid/modems.php)
Generally, two internal modems won't work properly in one computer, at least as far as caller id is concerned. It's possible if one is a hardware modem, but most internal modems are winmodems or softmodems.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
Last edited by Bill Root on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATCtech

Using modem to hang-up w/Whozz Calling

Post by ATCtech »

Hi Bill,

I know this is an old thread but can you elaborate on using a modem to hang up the line without showing duplicate calls? I'm interested in trying the process with one of the lines on our Whozz Calling box, and I'll just rearrange our registrations for the software to use both devices but only on 1 line to see if I can get it working.

Thanks!

Bob
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Using modem to hang-up w/Whozz Calling

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Bob,

Can you contact me by email about this? We're testing something that I think will help.

If you don't have my email address, just submit a support request; it will get to me:
http://www.ascendis.com/callerid/support_form.php

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
ATCtech

Post by ATCtech »

My email info should be in your support email now....

Thanks!

Bob