Whozz Calling

Discussion of non-modem hardware for use with Ascendis Caller ID.
GraemeP

Whozz Calling

Post by GraemeP »

Hi Bill, hope you're well?

I just replaced the modems with a Whozz calling POS4. All was working well with the modems but I now have a couple of problems!

Firstly some numbers are not getting through properly. This is a Whozz problem with the BT formats and they're working on a replacement chipset for me (excellent service so far!)

However I've also noticed that however many rings there are, Ascendis callerid always reports just 1. Can you advise if this would also be a whozz problem so that I can get them to fix at the same time?
Bill Root
Site Admin

Re: Whozz Calling

Post by Bill Root »

Hi Graeme,

I'm doing well, thank you!
GraemeP wrote: However I've also noticed that however many rings there are, Ascendis callerid always reports just 1. Can you advise if this would also be a whozz problem so that I can get them to fix at the same time?
I believe only the Whozz Calling? 2, 4 & 8 can report the number of rings:
http://www.callerid.com/?page=C_C&src=ascendis
(See "Number of Rings" (Item 9) in the above table. According to the table, the Scout units also support this, but we have not tested these.)

However, they do it with a different (optional) set of messages that Ascendis Caller ID does not yet support. We hope to support this in the future, but it will not help you since the POS units do not support it (according to the table).

So, the short answer is that is NOT a Whozz Calling? problem.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
GraemeP

Post by GraemeP »

Bill Root wrote:I believe only the Whozz Calling? 2, 4 & 8 can report the number of rings:
(See "Number of Rings" (Item 9) in the above table. According to the table, the Scout units also support this, but we have not tested these.)

However, they do it with a different (optional) set of messages that Ascendis Caller ID does not yet support. We hope to support this in the future, but it will not help you since the POS units do not support it (according to the table).

So, the short answer is that is NOT a Whozz Calling? problem.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software
:oops: :oops: :oops: That'll teach me to read specs before I buy!

Is it all whozz units that aren't supported, or just the Scout units? I may try and get a exchange to a type 4 unit if so. Otherwise I guess it's back to a bank of modems...
Bill Root
Site Admin

Post by Bill Root »

GraemeP wrote:That'll teach me to read specs before I buy!
I wasn't aware of this until recently, as we don't support number of rings (yet) for Whozz Calling? devices. They do sell a lot of apparently similar devices so deciding which to get can be tricky. I have found the folks at CallerID.com to be very helpful, though.
Is it all whozz units that aren't supported, or just the Scout units? I may try and get a exchange to a type 4 unit if so. Otherwise I guess it's back to a bank of modems...
Ascendis Caller ID does not yet support tracking the number of rings from any Whozz Calling? device. We intend to, but haven't done it yet.

According to CallerID.com, the following Whozz Calling? devices support tracking the number of rings: Whozz Calling? 2, Whozz Calling? 4 & 8, and Scout 4 & 8. These are listed in the product comparison table at

We don't have any Scout units and have not tested with them. I'm trying to get another user going with an old Scout unit he acquired elsewhere and there are some differences that require tweaking. At this time we do not recommend them for use with Ascendis Caller ID.

Ascendis Caller ID currently supports Whozz Calling? 2, Whozz Calling? 4 & 8, and Whozz Calling? Lite 4 & 8.

Finest regards,
Bill Root
Ascendis Software